Accumulator making noise when braking

Amp1ifi3R

Hey all. My Reatta when braking, makes a buzzing or whirring sound that sounds to be coming from the accumulator. The brake light on the dashboard is on. Anyone have a cause or solution to this? It makes the noise every time I brake. It makes this noise when the car starts as well. Brakes are otherwise working like they should. Thanks

The whirring or buzzing sound is most likely the brake motor running. The accumulator is just a hydraulic reservoir that gets pressurized when the brake motor / pump runs. Which brake light is on. The red brake light or the yellow ABS light? it does make a difference. For example if the yellow light is on it just means the ABS is not working right but you will still have normal braking. If the red light is on it is a "DANGER" warning and the car should not be driven until it is fixed.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

Could you post a picture of you listening to the accumulator while braking?

If the red BRAKE light is on....the light signal is coming from the pressure switch,  as that is what turns on the light.....I tend to agree that it is more likely the pump motor turning on...which

it will do when you first start the car and when you push the brake pressure with low pressure, the pump motor will come on.

I think you have either a bad accumulator or bad pressure sw.....maybe both. 

Use great caution while driving,  I suspect you are on the edge of no power brake assist and you will get a hard pedal....with the feeling the car will not stop.

The cautions above outline the situation very well. The accumulator is a silent device and will only warn you by failing to store brake fluid pressure. If this operation continues, it will also shorten the life of the pump.

As a four (4) thumbed mechanic I often have to go to the "EXPERTS" well on our forum. I am always amazed and grateful when they reply with patience to the newbi's or the afromentioned four thumb mechanics.

Thank you Guys

• Like 1