People who own a Franklin and use a 2 post lift

Brooklyn Beer

Well the rain finally quit and I am finishing up the final details before pouring the slab for my new garage and in the plans is installing a 2 post lift.  It will be a symmetrical lift as I only have 24 feet front to back in that area and with 10 foot walls (I have the option to go 11 or even 12 ft),  the plan is to have the post centered on the peak for added height.   Now most lift manufactures say this is fine for newer cars and trucks as I will have right around 140 inches front clearance from the center of the post to wall.  But I do not know how far forward in inches a Franklin will be from the center of the post to get a balanced lift.  So if anyone who uses a two post lift with a Franklin could kindly tell me in a rough measurement how much of the car sits forward from the center of the post it would be greatly appreciated before I go and dig out the footers for the posts at center when in actuality they should be a foot forward or back of center.  Also,  what is the rough height of a Franklin sedan from running board to roof?

Edited by Brooklyn Beer
new (see edit history)

John I am putting up a 3 car shop just for really a maintenance garage and want to install a lift for working on both my old cars and my daily drivers.  Nothing will be stored underneath it as I already have a five car garage down the hill. One stall for a Franklin and another for my daily driver truck when the Texas hail storms come blowing in.   A two post lift would work better for every other vehicle I own.  How would it work with a Franklin if I just lifted the car up enough to set it down on jack stands all at the same time?

The "balance point" will vary by body type and wheel base. Franklins of the years you've been looking at are pretty much the same from about under the dash to the front bumper. Almost all the difference in wheel base /body length/weight is from there back. 

If your space is close on clearances, then I recommend you wait until you have the car your going to have to fit the post location to.

And as far as length of the car, does it have a trunk on a rack, rear mounted spare, long wheel base or shorter wheel base ?  They are all different lengths.  Heights to the highest point of the roof is typically behind the driver and that's a couple of inches under 6 foot - depending on tires and spring sag.  And running boards are about 10 inches off the ground.  

And if your going to lift by the frame rails you'll need extension pads to reach up under the running boards and mud guards.

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

John I am putting up a 3 car shop just for really a maintenance garage and want to install a lift for working on both my old cars and my daily drivers.  Nothing will be stored underneath it as I already have a five car garage down the hill. One stall for a Franklin and another for my daily driver truck when the Texas hail storms come blowing in.   A two post lift would work better for every other vehicle I own.  How would it work with a Franklin if I just lifted the car up enough to set it down on jack stands all at the same time?

A few times I've used a 31 and 32 Franklins with a two post lift at Morrisville College while giving tech sessions. Much better access to anything involving getting under the car, or pulling wheels off. 

I had the option of using a four post with ramps but when they saw that I would be removing wheels and brake drums they put the cars on the two post.   Was much easier and the underside was much more open to show maintenance points to the class. The down side is the post makes it a tight squeeze to get in/out of  the drivers door. Obviously, that's not a problem with a four post.

Paul

• Like 1