15 x 7 in Rally Wheels

awk409ak

Hi All,

Thought I would start a thread on the use of just the 15 x 7 inch rally wheels.  I believe these are from a 64 Wildcat wagon.  The back space is ~ 4.312 inches.  Tried to mount them just to check the fit (just on the rear) and of course they will not fit because of the drum interference, which I already knew would be the case.  The drum interferes before the wheel hits the mounting surface of the drum and at this point there is only ~.250 of studs threads left protruding from the wheel, which I would not think is enough for a lug nut (and it is still not seated yet).  So I'm saying at this point even a spacer would not work, because the studs are not long enough as it is and the wheel is not fully seated on the drum yet.  So any one that does this must be installing longer studs.  Is this correct?  Another question are there other drums that will fit the Riviera that do not have the tall fins and fit inside the 15" wheels?  The eastist is to add a .875-1.00 bolt on adapter/spacer, correct? 

Thanks,

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

What are you trying to mount them on?  If they originally canme on a 64 Wagon, they should mount on any vehicle that came with the standard finned aluminum front drums and the cast iron rear drums.  Most 15 x 7 rally wheels, except for the late 70's early 80's wagons, came on the intermediate sized cars from the early 70's.  Those wheels have a 4-3/4" bolt circle.

IF they have the register ring in them they CAN be removed. Won't hurt anything with them removed. When I mounted a set on my '61 LeSabre I had to cut the axle & front drum hubs at a 45* angle & they bolted up no problem. The '64 Riv. has the same hub size as my LeSabre.

Tom T.

Rivnut,

They measure 7 inches on the inside of the rim and the back space is 4.4375.  So it is .875 more backspace than the stock 6 inch wheel.  I should be able to use a .875 5 x 5 to 5 x 5  bolt in adapter/spacer.  Correct?

Telriv,

Not mounting them on the front just the rear.

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

6 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Hi All,

Thought I would start a thread on the use of just the 15 x 7 inch rally wheels.  I believe these are from a 64 Wildcat wagon.  The back space is ~ 4.312 inches.  Tried to mount them just to check the fit (just on the rear) and of course they will not fit because of the drum interference, which I already knew would be the case.  The drum interferes before the wheel hits the mounting surface of the drum and at this point there is only ~.250 of studs threads left protruding from the wheel, which I would not think is enough for a lug nut (and it is still not seated yet).  So I'm saying at this point even a spacer would not work, because the studs are not long enough as it is and the wheel is not fully seated on the drum yet.  So any one that does this must be installing longer studs.  Is this correct?  Another question are there other drums that will fit the Riviera that do not have the tall fins and fit inside the 15" wheels?  The eastist is to add a .875-1.00 bolt on adapter/spacer, correct? 

Thanks,

Art

It dawned on me that in the 1964, Buick made four versions of the Wildcat - 2 dr spt cpe, 2 dr c9nverible, 4 dr hardtop, and 4 door sedan.  No wagon.  If you want, I'll post the style number and number of each style produced.  Try to post some pictures of your wheels so we can get a closer look at them.  If you measured inside the beads, you must not have tires on them.  Look for a code number stamped inside the rim.

36 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Not so Ed! I used to have a 64 Wildcat station wagon with the dual quad 425.......I had to trade someone my

65 Corvette 4 door sedan to get my hands on 

I've seen other KX motored 64 wagons but they were all LeSabres, some even with 4 speed sticks.  You dont happen to have a picture of the data plate do you.  LeSabres and Wildcats shared the same platform.  Fenders, grills, and badges are easily swapped. Kind of like GTO Station wagons or Grand National El Caminos.  Why doesn't Buick show a model number for a Wildcat wagon?  Just as rare as that 4 door Corvette.  Got a picture of that one too?  

gtowagon1.jpg.41fcbc07e3aca45096546f260fa77e7d.jpg

s-l1600jpg.thumb.jpg.f7d64618ae891980d4532f8fa3f9bd68.jpg

15 x 7 "JJ"

The JJ bead started with the 1971 Buicks.  With that in mind, it appears that you have a set of rally wheels from a late 70's - early 80's Buick Estate Wagon.  That would also explain why there are no signs of a register ring - they did not have one.

Rivnut,

If I use a bolt on adapter with stud mounted on the adapter, then extra length of my factory stud would still protrude through the adapter (using a .900 thick adapter).  I'll have see if factory stud will fit in the stamping area in the backside of the wheel.  I know I heard people doing this on there Riv.  Hope I'm  making sense.

Art