Riviera 1965-1976

Riviera-6576

I am interested in purchasing a Buick Riviera between the years 1965-1976 and would like to know

which model year has the best overall stock handling and performance characteristics.  Also,  being 6'2" tall,

which  model year would provide the best interior comfort?  I am rather indifferent as to the various body

styles except for the 1970 which I dislike.

By measurement, the 1971 through 1976 cars have the most interior room within your range—Buick cited a 8% gain between the last of the second-generation 1970s and the first of the third-generation 1971s.

I leave it to others far more experienced than I to say how those numbers correlate with reality.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Riviera-6576 said:

I am interested in purchasing a Buick Riviera between the years 1965-1976 and would like to know

which model year has the best overall stock handling and performance characteristics.  Also,  being 6'2" tall,

which  model year would provide the best interior comfort?  I am rather indifferent as to the various body

styles except for the 1970 which I dislike.

You might say that now about the '70 Riv, but it will grow on ya. It did for me at least. Good luck in your search!

For reference, a quick chart of the interior measurements that were consistently stated in Riviera or Buick brochures:

1966_1976_Interior_Dimensions.png

Bold is used to mark the largest value in a specific category, while italics are either where I believe the brochure had a typo (and I have substituted a likely value) or where the brochure listed no value. Of course, all information in brochures should be taken with a grain of salt …

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think my 71 rides and handles better than my 69, which is better than my 65. At least for longer road trips, I think the newer ones are more comfortable. If you don’t mind the styling, the mid70s cars are often the most affordable as well.

• Like 1

Get a 73. Great tech...smooth ride...cheaper than previous years. The quick steering is impeccable. 

#1 functioning bumper in the Universe!

Its not a boat tail...its a bat tail!

Unfortunately for you, the best performance just might be in the 1970 with the 370HP only Riviera. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.48.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.47.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.49.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 11.50.32 PM.png

• Like 1

Whatever the ride I recommend the 6-way power seat. I’m just over 6 feet and tilting the back helps very much to get me away from the steering wheel to stretch my arms.

Good luck in your search.

• Like 1