HEADGASKET HABIT

Mssr. Bwatoe

Well a couple weeks ago on a return trip from The Irish Hills in Michigan when the slight miss

I had attributed to carburation error was a leaky head gasket on pass side head. I had used vintage Mccord

copper gaskets , and they looked nasty, and leaky and rusty, for only being a few years old.  I suspect improper

head surface even though they had seen machine shop. I have learned that these are difficult to mount

in most surfacer lathes.  Im not gonna use those old gaskets ever...I'm pleased with the valley under intake, about

10,000 miles or so since overhaul, full synthetic oil changed occasionally seems to agree with it. clean!

Modern felpro gaskets and Mr Scobels wonderfull looking new aluminum heads will

hopefully function as well as the old iron ..If I'm driving old grey at The Gilmore this August, you'll know they 

work.

IMG_3504 - Copy (2).JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

lft head.JPG

new heads.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

Could the original issue be related to a need to retorque after installation ? 

Also, were the prior heads originals ?   I dealt with a family member's 39 Zephyr that he put on a flawless NOS set of heads and did everything right to have them literally fall apart 6 years later - I went down the their barn and pulled a set of steel heads off a shelf from a parts car, sandblasted them, took to machine shop and had  surfaced, and installed. 

From FelPro's web site: " Fel-Pro head gaskets are also designed so that no additional sealers are needed. Modern facing materials and their pre-applied proprietary coatings will compensate for minor surface imperfections, resist scrubbing, and provide the proper amount of torque retention to create a true no-retorque head gasket. Use no sealers, adhesives or other additives with these gaskets. "

I have had no problems with leaking head gaskets following their recommendations.