Cooling fan noise

Hi guys, I took my Fan off my 28 Std Six to inspect it for cracks today ( it was about 75% broken on three of the four blades😳) but since today was a beautiful 75 degree day I couldn't just leave her parked in the garage so off we went. I avoided all roads that would cause me to get into traffic or be stopped for more than a few seconds and she ran just as cool as with the fan 🙂 BUT a whole lot quieter at speeds above 40 mph. It is  absolutely amazing how much noise that fan makes.  Does anybody know of a car that has a mechanical device that allowed the driver to engage or disengage the fan as needed?  trying to get some ideas in my head on how this could be done. There are modern thermostatically controlled fans but with only about 1" of space between the water pump and radiator its going to require something custom.  just trying to get some ideas, maybe it can't be done in the space available, any ideas?    THANKS

Yer they are noisy aren’t they. Something like a air/con clutch would be good and hook it the a thermo fan switch. An electrical fan would be good but it would look shithouse. 

Ya Matt, agreed I can't do the electric fan thing just to dang ugly. haha, I'm thinking of something like machining a hub adaptor that then held a decent sized ball bearing to allow the fan to freewheel, yet could be engaged and disengaged threw some form of dog clutch controlled buy something like a choke cable.

• Like 1

Peugeot (and Fiat) disengaging fans operate on an electromagnet in the hub triggered by a thermostatic switch.  Current is passed through a brush bearing on the hub.  Most modern cars use an independent version held against the radiator core.  Shop around for one thin enough for your application and fit a manual switch for use if things start to get warm.