'65 Front Turn signal problem

65VerdeGS

The front left (driver's) turn signal on my '65 won't blink when I push the lever down.  All other bulbs flash properly when I active them via the turn signal switch.

I replaced the 1157A bulb in the front left hosing, but it didn't make any difference.  To confirm if the flashing (brighter) filament was working, I put the bulb in backwards temporarily.  The bright singalling filament light up, so I know it isn't a bad bulb that's causing the problem.

I reinstalled the bulb correctly and tried giggling the wiring to the socket (from behind), and also tried same with wiring at the base of the steering column.  No difference - the bulb won't flash with the turn signal engaged.  

I noticed that the green dashboard arrow lights up and flashes as it should, even thought the front right bulb does not flash.  I thought if there was a burned bulb the dash arrow would either flash rapidly, or stay light and not flash, as an indication of malfunction. What is the normal behaviour supposed to be in this case?

The bulb socket looks to be in good condition with no corrosion or other apparent issues.  

Is my problem related to wiring, or the turn signal switch?  Any ideas appreciated.

image.png.d685205aa3ede8967d6036a31c890358.png

Thanks,

You need to take a test light and check  for a blinking light at the wire for the bright filament about a half inch behind the socket. If the wire has

blinking power that makes your test light blink you have a bad light socket.  . If you don't have blinking power at the wire, go to the turn signal switch wiring connector and check it there.....Sometimes this connector will burn up on this plug due to

heat buildup from a loose or corroded pin on the connector. As Ed stated, if you have a broken cable end on the turn signal switch cable,

it may be that the turn signal switch isn't moving quite enough for the contacts in the switch for the left front lamp to make a connection. It is very unlikely for the problem to be the turn signal switch itself.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

ALSO, with the lens off turn on the signal that doesn't work when the signal light is suppose to work & put a piece of wire to the base of the bulb while it is installed & the bumper to check for a bad ground at that point.

Tom T.

I had a ground problem on one of my cars and cured it by installing sockets with a dedicated ground wire.  Connected the ground wire from both sockets to a wire which I grounded to the body.  Maybe this isnt the reason for your problem, but it's a cure for the problems you encounter when trying to ground through the housing.100_2143__01450.1495153076.thumb.jpeg.43f5154d3185ae75dca98c951b24e058.jpeg

• Thanks 1