View our progress. 32 Buick Tow Truck

CTCV

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not the latest picture but with it further along. I did install new rear leaf springs so the vehicle sits a bit taller in the back and can carry a 1000lb on the crane without much sagging. Not that I will be towing but may use it to pull an engine. I added a hydraulic ram from a cherry picker and the crane is on pivots so I can stand the crane straight up or lay it down, in addition of course to the hoist itself.2112083441_32Buick21.jpg.18d114bed9384b921b55592276ee62b6.jpg

• Like 6

On 12/31/2021 at 10:58 AM, dibarlaw said:

So glad to see the progress! What downdraft carb are you using? A friend is doing a flipped manifold for a 1931 90 series Sport Coupe.

Happy New Year!

Larry

Larry i have to check but if I am correct there are two common base plates on the Rochester 2bl carbs.  I have an AutoCAD file my brother and I designed that can drive a 3D printer or CNC. The file creates an adapter plate that allows the installation of any Rochester with the one specific base plate to the Buick. Personally I am running an adapter made by a 3D printer (plastic) because my engine never exceeds 145 degrees and the intake manifold seems to stay well below that. I think the carb I am using is 70's to 80's. Just one a friend had laying around. Let me see if I can dig up the rebuilding kit I used to teach carb rebuilding to my students. That should have a number we can cross reference.

Tony

Hey Larry

I might have the info you need. If I am right I am running a 1975 to 1978 Rochester 2GC Rebuild kit 2-5419 NAPA.

You should know that this may not be the best as for fit and linkage but it worked for me and the price was right. The base plate and adapter is the key. One issue with the one I am using is that those years had all kinds of hoses and ports for vacuum so if you are going to use it buy a pack of caps for the ports. Also the fuel line enters from the front but many earlier ones enter from the side.

Additionally I had received advise from the forum that an electric fuel pump would be required to feed the carb. I am not running one so this setup seems to work. See carburetorcenter.com

Tony

• Like 1

My apologies to the forum. After re-reading my post I did not mean to suggest that the forum advise regarding the addition of an electric fuel pump was inaccurate. Some mentioned one would be required to prime the carb and others to supply enough pressure to run. In my case, after a couple weeks of sitting I manually prime the carb.

Tony

• Like 2