The "disease" strikes again

Other than the crappy rocker trim or panel the rest looks really good (maybe even original paint). I would have bought it as well.  IS it rust in the rockers or a trim panel poorly fabricated?  I don't see any other rot on the car. 

You can't get any more reliable than that flathead 6.  No semi auto that year either so a 3 speed stick.  Does it have OD? 

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Other than the crappy rocker trim or panel the rest looks really good (maybe even original paint). I would have bought it as well.  IS it rust in the rockers or a trim panel poorly fabricated?  I don't see any other rot on the car. 

You can't get any more reliable than that flathead 6.  No semi auto that year either so a 3 speed stick.  Does it have OD? 

It is a poorly fabricated rocker panel. As is the case with 49 Plymouths (I had one when I was 17 years old - many moons ago) the Woody has suffered from the floors and rockers rusting. However, the rest of the sheetmetal looks very good.

YES it is original paint.

The reason I bought it was because the wood is all original - inside and out - and appears to be in excellent condition. Metal fabrication is a LOT less expensive than replacing wood on a Woody.

Also, the car is complete -  having the fold down split rear bumper. which would be IMPOSSIBLE to find.

The car was owned by the same person for well over 40+ years.

It will run with a little TLC.

I don't know if it has OD.

I have not gotten the car home yet. It will be here in early May

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Woodie is now safely tucked away in its new home. It was loaded into an enclosed trailer on April 30th at 9 am and it was in my driveway on May 1st at 11:30 am. A little over 24 hours to transport a car over 1100 miles. I consider that fantastic. And the cost was extraordinarily reasonable. 

Anyway, I have been tinkering and I am going to drop the oil pan as there is about an inch or more of sludge (was going to do it anyway) in the pan and I am going to remove the side valve covers and clean that area up, too, before I even try to start the car. Also, clean the pickup screen, etc...

I cleaned up the interior a bit and it is looking good.

Having said all of that, I bought this car sight unseen (I know, I I know - should NEVER do that). But I couldn't get anyone to go look it over for me and I was 1100 miles away. But when the car was delivered I was more than pleased with my purchase.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I know it has been a long time since my last update about the Woody.

Because I was furloughed from work for a few days I decided to do some work on my cars.

The first thing I did was to get the 47 T & C running again (needed the points cleaned). It fired right up.

Then I jumped to the 49 Caddy  - installed new water pump, fuel pump, installed oil filter housing/lines, installed new thermostat and generator bracket.

I finally got to the 49 Woody today and I dropped the oil pan. All I can say is "good thing I did".

There was an inch or more of sludge in the pan and the oil pickup screen was totally gummed up.

I am soaking the pan and will remove the pickup screen and soak that, too.

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...