Buick Torque tube question

Kestrel

In preparation for installing new brake lines, I've been degreasing the frame and undercarriage parts. The torque tube is cleaning up nice, almost looks like stainless. Could that be ? Don't know what the red stripe means either. I'm thinking I shouldn't be so quick with the rattle can this time.  Car's a '51. Thanks all.

IMG_0221.thumb.jpeg.330d3f7f8303b13488f126217d585303.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kestrel said:

It must be all the old undercoating and grease preserved the surface

GM cars have always leaked more than Ford cars. Anything from the crankshaft damper back on a GM car will look like new when you clean it.

Fords are dry underneath. Ford guys were always coming into the junkyard because their oil pan had rusted through. Not GM!

If you know this story, it is pretty close to what the red stripe is about.

image.png.95b48b0ca023eaa6b4591682953a9edf.png

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:28 PM, Kestrel said:

. . . Don't know what the red stripe means either . . . Car's a '51 . . . 

FWIW:  The struts were riveted together with the one-piece torque tube. The torque tube and carrier were matched and aligned during manufacturing and the Shop Manuals advised of keeping the original assembly together. The varied-colored dabs of paint on those parts are most likely a quick visual aid for the assembly line workers to identify the year or Model it goes in and identify rear ratios after the assembly was completed (rather than looking for the small stamped-numbers on the ring gear). Before assembly, markings could also tell whether the propeller shaft was balanced, other inspections were completed or a final okay to go. I've also seen paint marks and stamped ratio-codes on the bottom side of rear axle housings on early to mid-1950s Buicks. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edit:  You might want to ask yourself how the assembly line crew verified what speedometer driving worm gear was to be installed with the axle ratio that was on that car.

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)