Machine screws

Made In Michigan

This could be another choice.  It is the only local place in Victoria that has a different selection of fasteners.  All the hardware stores these days seem to get their supplies from the same place and have the same selection.  Of course local businesses survive on solving most peoples needs and don't have the room or talent to keep specialty   Fastenal has not let me down in 39 years.    https://www.fastenal.com/

5 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I would think Huntington Beach would spoil you enough without having a good fastener supplier as well.😁

Oh man....not to mention the beach is less than 1 mile from my shop....🌴

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

Which fasteners are you talking about? With the exception of maybe a few, most should be standard. Many of the machine screws may be 12-24 thd. Restoration Specialties carries a pretty complete selection of specialty screws, especially the slotted ones. 

in no.8 machine screws 32 thd. is coarse and 36 thd. is fine. you will rarely see an 8-36 thd machine screw in a car. In no. 10 screws 24 thd. is coarse and 32 thd. is fine. In no. 12 screws 24 thd. is coarse and 28 thd. is fine. There are many 12-24 thd screws in the doors of my '36 Dodge. There are several "special"thds. that will only be available through specialty fastener houses,

but you won't require any of those.

• 4 years later...
On 4/5/2019 at 5:04 PM, jpage said:

in no.8 machine screws 32 thd. is coarse and 36 thd. is fine. you will rarely see an 8-36 thd machine screw in a car. In no. 10 screws 24 thd. is coarse and 32 thd. is fine. In no. 12 screws 24 thd. is coarse and 28 thd. is fine. There are many 12-24 thd screws in the doors of my '36 Dodge. There are several "special"thds. that will only be available through specialty fastener houses,

but you won't require any of those.

In the case of a metal screw threaded into metal, both materials are usually of comparable strength, and the threads on the screw can be quite fine. Making them too coarse means that you are sacrificing core material in favour of thread, weakening the screw unnecessarily.

However in the case of a metal screw threaded into a plastic chassis, the screw material is a lot stronger than the chassis, so it makes sense to allow the threaded portion to take up more of the screw's cross-section, as you don't need as strong a core, but you do need the screw to engage as much of the soft chassis material as possible so that it doesn't strip and pull out Screw Manufacturer in India.

So, with this in mind, high-end kits that use lightweight aluminium hardware threaded into hard fibre-reinforced plastics are perhaps well-suited to using machine screws, but to swap out the self-tappers in your TT01 for steel machine screws, just because they have pretty hex heads, is weakening your car.

I am looking for a specific machine screw and it has been really hard if not impossible to find. I've been to fastenal twice (of course they ordered hex heads for me first that I had to return). I've contacted mcmaster and grainger, as well as used all the google kung foo I know how to muster. So....anyone have any recommendations for a supplier for a really hard to find machine screw??? I am looking for 6-40 flathead, torx drive machine screws (3/8"-5/8"). I would probably buy 100-500 of ea length.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:21 AM, michaelmackay said:

I am looking for a specific machine screw and it has been really hard if not impossible to find. I've been to fastenal twice (of course they ordered hex heads for me first that I had to return). I've contacted mcmaster and grainger, as well as used all the google kung foo I know how to muster. So....anyone have any recommendations for a supplier for a really hard to find machine screw??? I am looking for 6-40 flathead, torx drive machine screws (3/8"-5/8"). I would probably buy 100-500 of ea length.

My go-to is, https://boltdepot.com/Type_F_machine_screws

Good luck!

Edited by Alan Cutler (see edit history)

If you can not find what you are looking for McMaster Carr WILL find it even if they have to have it made. Ask to talk to an engineer and they will hook you up. I gave up on places like Fastenal years ago. We dealt with them at work because they were cheap. But they never had what we needed. My motto for Mc Carr is if they don't have it you don't need it.