Bumper replating and shipping question

kreed

1 minute ago, kreed said:

I have a bumper that needs replating . Three questions : recommendations in the Midwest ?.. and how to ship ?- wooden crate ?. Which shipper - UPS , FedEx , local freight ?...  

Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Hi Ken,

I used Keystone Automotive. They have their own replating plant in Minnesota I believe. All you have to do is take it in to one of their stores. They will give you an estimate and if you accept you leave it there. They take care of the shipping to and from the plant via one of their trucks which picks up items to be rechromed on a weekly basis and then drops the newly chromed items back at the store. You will get your original bumper back. I had the front upper bumper on my 63 rechromed by them. They did it for less than $400. Price is determined by the condition of the bumper. No one high price fits all pricing. It was about as painless as it could be and I was very happy with the results.

Bill

Ken,

There is a shop in the western suburbs of Chicago that does polishing and small chrome jobs but they dont have tanks which are large enough to handle bumpers. So they prep the bumpers and then use Keystone for the plating. I have used them for bumpers on a `66 Wildcat and `64 Starfire. The shop uses a Keystone price guide to quote so I`m sure their price is about the same as Keystone, if not exactly the same, BUT they do the prep.

An upper bumper on a first gen Riv is usually less expensive compared to many others due to its size so depending on what you are plating you may find the charges substantially higher than Bill`s example.

Maybe a shop in your area can be utilized in the same manner? Or..the westerns suburbs are not a great distance from Iowa,

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, DualQuadDave said:

You can ship it FedEx. Just get a couple large pieces of cardboard and wrap it a couple times.  Make sure you insure it for crazy $$$. Just in case.  

That's the beauty of using Keysone if you can drop it off at one of their stores.They take care of all the packaging and shipping to and from their plating plant at no extra cost.

Bill

• Like 1

Keystone has a location in Ankeny. They have done great work for me including the bumpers on my Toronado, they still look great after 30 years. If you know someone in the auto repair trade, they used to ( may still do ) offer a 25% discount if sent through the repair shop.

6 hours ago, DualQuadDave said:

You can ship it FedEx. Just get a couple large pieces of cardboard and wrap it a couple times.  Make sure you insure it for crazy $$$. Just in case.  

This.  I just wrapped mine in cardboard and covered in clear packing tape.  No need to box it with FedEx.  It was $35 Kentucky to Vegas last time I sent one for a 1939.  Long and heavy.