TPMS

What brand of Tire Pressure Monitoring system are you using and would you recommend it.  Searching the internet it seems most companies have gone to the Schrader valve stem type monitors rather than the internally rim mounted systems.  On the RV blogs many complain of having to use a repeater when towing a trailer or Toad.  Your thoughts and recommendations appreciated.  Thanks, Bob Smits

2 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Best is a hammer, rap each tire every stop.  If one doesn't ring true an old fashioned hand held tire gauge is foolproof.

For more than 20 years, I've been using a non-contact infrared thermometer on each wheel's tread, sidewall, and hub, looking for a 20+ degree difference.  I've done more than a few pre-emptive changes subsequent to these checks.  But, like the time-tested thumping process, the infrared thermometer at stops only catches the slow leaks and loose-but-not-yet-separated treads.  TPMS affords REAL-TIME warning of a failing tire BEFORE it comes apart at speed and potentially causes damage to an adjoining tire and the trailer body.  So I, too, am interested in a TPMS system which will work on all trailer tires despite the shielding effects of distance and an aluminum-bodied trailer.

Hopefully someone on this forum will have figured it out or found a system that works.  There are many systems designed for motor homes towing a Toad but they also report problems with connectivity.

14 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Hopefully someone on this forum will have figured it out or found a system that works.  There are many systems designed for motor homes towing a Toad but they also report problems with connectivity.

It would seem that we all have the same concern.

The systems that I have looked at all say the distance is an issue. My coach is a class A making the driver at the very front of the 38 ft.

Then the distance to the trailer axels is about another 12 or 15 ft.

Take into account that the signals from the trailer tires are directly inline with the pusher engine and the massive chassis of the coach and the trailer to the drivers area. (and all the electrical and mechanical things related)

Ten wheels on the ground makes for an expensive system that probably wont work.

The amplifiers that are offered in the camping world flyer don't sound like they will not be strong enough for this scenario.

Therefore I too would like to hear from guys with similar rigs that have a real life solution.