1955 Seat Motors

Paul Falabella

7 hours ago, Paul Falabella said:

Took the front seat out to have the petrified foam cushion replaced. Wondering if the two seat motors require lubrication? They look like sealed units and they work. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Thanks

IMG_0706.jpg

Hey Mr Paul.  Would you mind taking some pictures and posting while you have the seat out?  I would like to see how both motors mount and how the adjusting feet mount to the floor.  It would be a great tool for me with my seat which is somewhat in pieces.  I already have the book that shows the exploded view, but nothing is better than seeing it in living color.  I appreciate any help.

The motors were not made to need lubrication. OTOH they were not expected to last for 65 years.

I,ve found over that time the lube in the bearings get gummy and the lubriplate in the gear box hardens.

I may not preemptivly pull the seat but if i allready had acess to the motors i would open them up and put a few drops of fresh lube in the bearings and clean out the caked lubriplate in the gear box and replace it.

But thats just me........Bob

• Like 2

I rebuilt a 55 chev wiper motor and a 56 Buick power antenna. They all seem to be the same basic motor. On both, the lubrication was a very thick, hard, what used to be lubrication. My antenna motor didn't work specifically because the grease had hardened. You have to be very careful because the wires are so old and brittle, it's easy to pull them out (and just as easy to solder new ones in place) And, since you're in there, it's always good to check the carbon brushes. I replaced the wiper motor brushes with generic ones you can buy in the fastener section of the hardware store. For lubrication, I used a moly-graphite lube. Im sure the general purpose red lube would probably work just as well. 

• Like 2