Console question

TampaRiv

Hello Buick Riviera folks.   My car is coming along in it's first week, I'm probably gonna try to start it tomorrow after changing the oil and giving it a tune-up.  Cylinders are lubed and fingers are crossed.   Just waiting for the starter to come back from the re-builder. 

Console question:  In my car, there was an aftermarket cassette player installed in the console, in the large opening below the AC vent.  The installer used some plywood to fill the space.  I yanked all that crap out, so now I'm wondering what was in there originally...a storage box?  Or just a blank plate covered with the black leatherette contact paper?  No metal plate that would fill the space was included with the car.  Also,   I see some aftermarket wood veneer kits for the console and doors....any experience with these kits?  I'm not seeing a color that I like, but I do likethe idea of veneering the console in place of the peeling black leatherette contact paper.    I was thinking that some regular countertop laminate (or "vertical grade" material, which is thinner) might work very well to dress up the console/doors, and given the very convincing laminates that are available nowadays, they would easily be as convincing and as durable as the original material.

Thanks for any positive and useful replies, and more questions to come!

Rich

Rich, all three years, 63, 64, and 65 are different. And then you add standard or custom interior, and you have six different possibilities. Let us know the year and which interior and somebody will get you an answer. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

Yes…exactly what PWB said. Here is what I got for my 65 from Scanlan. Top notch work. Real wood veneer. Not sure where foam comes into play…maybe on the 63/64?? Mine didn’t have this foam PWB mentioned. 

Along with what Steelman said, apparently, there are two different colors to chose from also. A lighter gold like color & this darker walnut tone. So that makes 12 options haha…not 6 haha

D23964DF-91E8-4CA2-B3B3-E8DE7952EFB9.thumb.jpeg.80c4bce41379cd2e9f22ef2316480ffa.jpeg

395E2B4A-5026-4E60-A078-EFB8A4D84099.thumb.jpeg.1c1b8ff92651cc9c993b9d3a8ec28919.jpeg

• Like 1

Bob runs an ad in the Riview as well.  In the ad he lists his website. 

https://www.scanlanclassicautoveneer.com/

Take a look at his website.  He offers other Riviera related parts besides door panels. for 63 - 65. Especially helpful is his tutorial on how to disassemble a door panel in order to install the new veneer.  Complete with pictures and what tools you'll need.  NICE  From what I read, this is the way it was done by Fisher Body at the factory, not how some guy just happened to fix his in his garage using whatever was handy.

On his web page he also has new power window and power seat switch connector plates.  These do not appear to be made from pressed paper like the original.  

Best looking veneer stuff (and leatherette for the '63's) that I've seen.

He's got you 66, 67, and 68 guys covered as well.

and his phone 508 394 1943

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)