1936 Oldsmobile Gas Tank

36Oldsmob1le

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I doubt that would even fit. It's probably too long/wide. I agree with @GARY F. That is a saddle tank that goes outside the frame on a pickup, and a much newer one, though I couldn't guess make and model.

My 1936 Pontiac, with an extremely similar body to 1936 Oldsmobile, has an oval tank with flat ends. @37_Roadmaster_C's 37 Buick has a clamshell type tank, illustrating that GM was making both styles of tanks in the mid 30s.

I once parted out a poorly constructed 36 Pontiac street rod chassis. It had a pickup tank about like the one in the picture. Someone had cut, shortened, and welded it so it would fit in the space between the frame rails (the available space would be similar or the same as the Oldsmobile). It had lost the shallow end completely. It is possible. It's not a great fit, and probably wouldn't go in the original straps.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thank you very much for your input Bloo, now I am in search of a fuel tank that I can repair, or I have to figure out if something like this will work...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-36-cg-pt?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAo-yfBhD_ARIsANr56g5q6UPb7qHFaEnDKW0Rw-bf3jNWLKtHdtReDf4MN-M7gPqWjyKyKcYaAtL7EALw_wcB

The measurements are:

L: 37.50"

W: 16.25"

H: 7.50"

If anyone can measure an original would be very helpful, or at least the distance between the frame rails...

thumbnail_IMG_7820.jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The tank is from Tanks Inc. Trying to fit it to my 36 Olds Coupe...Still struggling with it. As you can see I need a different flange, something close to a 45 degree, except that the company cannot supply it...

I would also like to identify the origin of the filler tube, it is internally vented and came with the car... Almost looks like the right shape.

thumbnail_IMG_7992 (2).jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7993.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7995.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7996.jpg

Edited by philipj (see edit history)