Correct Oil

Mpgp1999

Alright here we go one of the most  controversial topics. Engine oil if I ask three people I get six answers. This is what I know. I have been using VR1racing oil sae 40. Because it has high zinc and says on the bottle it is designed for older engines. I used to use api sa non detergent oil. I have been told that modern oils do not provide the protection that our cars demand. Many people put additives. Such as Lucas oil stabilizer and zddp and recently boron to increase lubricity.  I have been watching reviews about several oil additives and many of them do not deliver what they promised but a few do. I will list them if anyone is interested. 

Well, what I did was drop the pan, removed all the sludge, and then replaced what it was running with a modern conventional style 5w30. No additives. And that based off of many hours of reading archived threads posted here on the aaca. 

Amsoil Z-Rod. Everything you need is in the oil. Including the state-of-the-art in corrosion protection over periods of non-use. This is the best oil, a full synthetic, and in the case of your old engine, probably the 20W/50 would be the right stuff. You will have to change it every 1000 miles or so due to the presence of gasoline and combustion by products in the oil.    -   Carl 

7 hours ago, Mpgp1999 said:

I have been told that modern oils do not provide the protection that our cars demand.

Those that told you that don't understand anything about lubrication and the development of oil. Oil of today is the best there ever was for lubricating an engine or gearbox or whatever,..... if you use something appropriate.

VR1 is fine. A CI-4 diesel oil will also do the same thing with zinc. You probably should be using a 5W-30. What does your book say and how many miles on the engine since it was overhauled? If it is creeping up in miles, a 5W-40 perhaps would do the job. I am using a CI-4 diesel oil in 5W-40 in my 1930 Dodge Brothers 8.

As Carl says, Z-Rod is pretty good stuff. Remember that ANY synthetic engine oil is better than ALL mineral oils at minimising wear in an engine.

Forget about additives. They are not necessary; they are already in the oil!

• Like 2