Decoding my 1949 Buick code

Selim

50 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Paint code 11 is Gala green. I see some green around the edge of that tag.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1949 Buick Super sedan (and other Buicks)

thanks

any idea what would be the dash and interior color?

Hi as far as I know on the convertibles the interior moldings and dashboard,inner area around windshield etc were painted the body color on correctly restored and original cars .Closed cars ,sedan and sedanettes are painted a two tone gray color no matter what exterior color was. I think Buick started this on open cars on the 1941 model.Hope this helps.Gary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/11/2019 at 12:59 AM, gdmn852 said:

Code 63 B would be red leather B would refer to black top .the instrument panel and interior moldings are painted what ever the exterior color is , in your case paint code 11 gala green.Picture shows a 49 in Sunmist gray 

working on body and paint job now and upholstery .. will bring car back to gala green as well as red interior but still thinking about top color... any suggestion? r u sure that it was black? do u think it matches having 3 different colors for body, upholstery, and top?

thanks for the advice ..

here is a photo of original interior as I found it underneath cuurent cover

EE6E184D-C98C-43E2-9A78-2AD7358A19F3.jpeg

Edited by Selim (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

Selim, in case you do not intend to re-use the current seat covers I know someone interested in it - me! 😊 Regards, Hans 

I intend to keep them underneath new upholstery ., yet I got couple of offers to sell them .. I wonder what would u do with them ? Restore them ? 

You will need the seat springs to recover if you reupholstered them . I don’t think anyone makes the springs ,Snyders Model A in Ohio can make seat springs as a custom order but price would be expensive.Most people repair the springs if they are damaged,then replace the foam ,padding ,then the top cover.You may be able to remove the existing upholstery by carefully removing the hog rings that hold it to the seat springs.The seating surface are leather but sides are not.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2019 at 12:59 AM, gdmn852 said:

Code 63 B would be red leather B would refer to black top .the instrument panel and interior moldings are painted what ever the exterior color is , in your case paint code 11 gala green.Picture shows a 49 in Sunmist gray 

exterior color is gala green (metallic color) , is dash color metallic as well or regular same color (gala green) but not metallic ?

Hello,on a convertible all interior moldings, dashboard, glove box ,steering column and even the engine firewall will be body color.The top bows that the top is mounted on  is either tan or black to match top material. I used a two step paint process,gloss is from clear coat I used a slightly less gloss on interior finish on clear coat.In your case Gala Green. 

AB44B3B2-52E3-425D-B064-41B24F2000AE.jpeg

32D96AE6-01D0-437F-967A-5440E896328A.jpeg