1965 Buick Skylark column shifter

chopper50

Hi,

Im kinda new to the car game, built choppers all of my life. Hoping to get some insight/opinions on my issue.

On my 1965 buick, I have shift on the column, 2 speed auto. It shifts through the gears and all runs and drives. The issue is that the shifter does not engage into a notch

or ? once in gear. You can simply just push on shifter through the gears if you wanted to without pulling toward you first etc... I dont trust it and its scary to think it may ghost shift while

driving. Does this sound like its in the column itself?

On a seperate note, it looks like someone put an aftermarket box that straps on the column for turn signals, unless this is stock, I dont know.

Also looking for a good source for wiring harness diagram .

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me with any of this.

8 hours ago, chopper50 said:

Hi,

Im kinda new to the car game, built choppers all of my life. Hoping to get some insight/opinions on my issue.

On my 1965 buick, I have shift on the column, 2 speed auto. It shifts through the gears and all runs and drives. The issue is that the shifter does not engage into a notch

or ? once in gear. You can simply just push on shifter through the gears if you wanted to without pulling toward you first etc... I dont trust it and its scary to think it may ghost shift while

driving. Does this sound like its in the column itself?

On a seperate note, it looks like someone put an aftermarket box that straps on the column for turn signals, unless this is stock, I dont know.

Also looking for a good source for wiring harness diagram .

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me with any of this.

The rod that runs from the column to the trans has an adjustment capability to sync the trans lever position with the notches in the gate in the column.  The linkage usually has rubber or plastic bushings where the various parts mate, and obviously these bushings wear out over time, causing the sloppiness.  You first need to inspect the bushings and replace any that are worn, then place both the trans lever and the shift lever in PARK to adjust the linkage. A factory Chassis Service Manual should be the first "tool" you purchase for a car like this, as it will describe this process in detail along with all the other things you need to do to maintain the car.

Note that there are different volumes of the service manual depending on whether you have a Skylark, Riviera, or full size.  Be sure you get the correct book to match your car.

s-l1600.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 8:50 AM, joe_padavano said:

The rod that runs from the column to the trans has an adjustment capability to sync the trans lever position with the notches in the gate in the column.  The linkage usually has rubber or plastic bushings where the various parts mate, and obviously these bushings wear out over time, causing the sloppiness.  You first need to inspect the bushings and replace any that are worn, then place both the trans lever and the shift lever in PARK to adjust the linkage. A factory Chassis Service Manual should be the first "tool" you purchase for a car like this, as it will describe this process in detail along with all the other things you need to do to maintain the car.

Note that there are different volumes of the service manual depending on whether you have a Skylark, Riviera, or full size.  Be sure you get the correct book to match your car.

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you very much, I am out of town but ordered this manual and is on the way to my house. I posted this in case it didn't cover that. I had experiences in past where some manuals don't have the area I need. Thanks again. If you know a good parts supplier for bushings, etc etc... please let me know. hoping the wiring diagram is in this manual as well.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:07 PM, chopper50 said:

Thank you very much, I am out of town but ordered this manual and is on the way to my house. I posted this in case it didn't cover that. I had experiences in past where some manuals don't have the area I need. Thanks again. If you know a good parts supplier for bushings, etc etc... please let me know. hoping the wiring diagram is in this manual as well.

The chassis manual is very good on coverage.  The electrical schematic is in section 10 . The only draw back , I feel  to it ,  is that it is in black and white. It is well labeled though. A colored schematic makes for easier reading and are available as an aftermarket source.

The turn signal switch is inside the column , not something that is strapped on like an accessory. There were two different switch assemblies used in '65 straight columns They do not interchange. The tilt column was a totally different set up for the turn signal switch.

You may be interested in joining us over at 65GS.com . We are focused on the '64- '66 Buick A bodies , which are the Specials , Skylarks and Gran Sports.

Loren

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, Loren@65GS.com said:

The chassis manual is very good on coverage.  The electrical schematic is in section 10 . The only draw back , I feel  to it ,  is that it is in black and white. It is well labeled though. A colored schematic makes for easier reading and are available as an aftermarket source.

The turn signal switch is inside the column , not something that is strapped on like an accessory. There were two different switch assemblies used in '65 straight columns They do not interchange. The tilt column was a totally different set up for the turn signal switch.

You may be interested in joining us over at 65GS.com . We are focused on the '64- '66 Buick A bodies , which are the Specials , Skylarks and Gran Sports.

Loren

Thanks for the info

To reply directly to an individual hover over the avatar.  Click on envelope (lower left) and writ you message,  This is totally private between the two of you.

To reply to a post on the thread, at bottom of page click on reply to this post.