Lift suggestions

Grizz

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

This doesn't compute for me. General repair, Do you mean body work, or tune ups? What is general repair to you?

I kind of go the other way when it comes to use/useless.

Paul is right about the eight trips to the floor. I have trouble getting my fat ass off of the floor anymore. (the reason I got the lift in the first place).

Well I was a Driveability-Tuneup-Smog guy, so......

I would say any sort of underhood work on a front wheel drive car or a v8 powered truck or van with power steering, AC and all that. Engine work, transmissions, clutches, axle shafts, water pumps, alternators, starters, hoses, heads, radiators, belts, timing belts, sensor replacements, etc.

Not having the suspension hanging is a huge hindrance. You are reaching around the hoist for almost every bolt. It will keep you completely away from some of them. The tire is also in the way. Yes, you can get pneumatic jacks to lift the frame or suspension (highly recommended if you are going with a 4-post), but then the car is even further away, and the ramp/support structure is right where your torso needs to be to reach many things. I am 6'3", and have long arms. More often than not I can't reach what I want to reach. A shorter person would be even more hobbled.

4-post hoists are the right tool for alignment, suspension, and exhaust work. They aren't horrible for oil change (but are way slower than a pit).

I am with you about all those trips to the floor. I'm not even sure I could do it anymore on a regular basis. I look under my current jalopy, a 1936 Pontiac, and notice how it and many other prewar cars have almost everything you want to get to arranged right down the center, and I think to myself.. maybe a 4-poster wouldn't be that bad. I could just drive on. No stacking hoist parts to clear the running boards or anything like that. No crawling on the floor. It is tempting.

But, to get any work done on more modern vehicles in a reasonable amount of time, offset 2-post is where its at. The old single-post hydraulic hoists weren't too bad either, but they require almost as much crawling around on the floor as a 2-post.

• Like 1

I too don't get how hard it is to work on cars with a 4 post. Sure you need rolling jacks (2) IMO.

I have done FWD axles, suspension, engines and trans on my 4 poster. Plenty of room between the runways for work unless a cheap import lift.

I have a real nice work pit below my 4 post lift and it is a hassle to work out of compared to the 4 post lift above it... like doing an oil change.

I also have a single post lift I have used for years.... good for wheel and brake work and some trans work.

2 post lifts when pulling engines/trans axles... changing the car or truck balance weight when doing so can be very dangerous ..requiring careful placement of support stands

Some classic open cars being lifted on any make 2 post you will see the doors pop or some times coming open!!! I always open the doors on any convertible on any 2 post lift so not to damage door latches or strikers if the frames do flex on a 2 post....

4 post no issues ...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bloo said:

Not having the suspension hanging is a huge hindrance. You are reaching around the hoist for almost every bolt. It will keep you completely away from some of them. The tire is also in the way. Yes, you can get pneumatic jacks to lift the frame or suspension (highly recommended if you are going with a 4-post), but then the car is even further away, and the ramp/support structure is right where your torso needs to be to reach many things. I am 6'3", and have long arms. More often than not I can't reach what I want to reach. A shorter person would be even more hobbled.

What I do is: #1 Put the car on my four post lift  #2  Put my bottle jack in the sliding jack tray.  #2  Jack it up an lower onto short jack stands (also in the tray)

#4  Set the 4 post ramps to stool height  #5  Sit down and work.

R&R 'ing front coil springs on a 4 post is a snap using rolling jacks..

...raise the front of car off runways with rolling jack..pull tires..(jack positioned rear of front wheels) leaves work area wide open)

...set 8" X 8" block at outer end of lower A-arm..lower car down on blocks

..disconnect lower ball joint or knuckle support lower pin bolt and nut

..loosely safety chain spring to lower control arm for safety

.. raise front end of car till springs are loose ,

....A-arms hanging down .. remove spring/springs.

With two rolling jacks it's even easier.

Front Springs C49 Hdtp.JPG

Kind of ironic, but I just got a phone call from a guy that I know quite well and he is giving up a rented space near me here in Oregon.

He has a two post lift, I would guess about three years old and he is the kind of guy to buy the best.

However he couldn't remember any of the particulars but he did say that he wanted $1500 for it. You move it.

He also said that he is motivated.

It has had very little use and the last time I was there I thought it was new.

If anyone is interested PM me and I will give you his phone number.

If it were a four poster I would probably grab it.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

He also said that he is motivated.

20 minutes ago, c49er said:

Hope it's a Mohawk 2 post.

That would be a super steal other wise not so.

Being motivated because he is giving up the place.

Might be that the price would go down as D-day approaches.