More Australian Cars

Saltbush

My historian friend was happy to get IDs on the cars

"Hi Allan

Just tell me when you’ve had enough!

Thanks for the ID’s. Most helpful to  have some details for future historians."

He has sent me another batch. Both he and I think one is a Buick?

aaaLunchAtFishermansBaySA-EdnaHarmer.jpg

Lunch At Fishermans Bay SA - Edna Harmer

aaaScan034-Wm,&AA Wood, G Minney 1938-EricSommerville.jpg

Wm & A. A. Wood, G. Minney 1938 - EricSommerville

aacan130-Mr Hancock& Load Of Grapes-Possibly around 1930--Dennis Gaudie Collection615.jpg

Mr Hancock & Load Of Grapes - Possibly around 1930 -- Dennis Gaudie Collection

Boy on car-Heather Angel Collection286.jpg

Boy on car - Heather Angel Collection 286

Car-Heather Angel Collection269.jpg

Car - Heather Angel Collection 269

IMG_0046Possibly Buick_NEW_0001.jpg

Possibly Buick _ NEW _ 0001

Longmire, Uncle Walter-Aunty Myrtle and Peg.jpg

Longmire, Uncle Walter - Aunty Myrtle and Peg

Edited by Saltbush (see edit history)

Closest match I can find for the "possibly Buick" is 1922, going by radiator surround, because after that there's an Eddie Munster widow's peak in the center.

The truck seems to have De Dion Bouton on the bonnet, and the driver or owner has crudely written Malcom on the front of the radiator shell.

Edited by Saltbush (see edit history)

Regarding " Mr Hancock & Load Of Grapes - Possibly around 1930 -- Dennis Gaudie Collection "

From the UK De Dion Bouton Club:

Good morning Alan
As your message came through I was just flicking through some photographs of commercial vehicles, so the timing could not have been better !

Yes it is a De Dion Bouton truck - you will notice that the name of the company also appears on the nearside of the radiator too. In truth, there is very little knowledge within the Club of commercial vehicles, primarily because you would not need all the fingers of one hand to count the survivors.

This vehicle is of 1920’s date, indicated by the style of the radiator, and if I were to stick my neck out I would say 1926 (ish), four cylinder, and around 20hp. By this time, most vehicles had pneumatic tyres, but it was not unknown for vehicles to have solid tyres.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Kindest regards

Michael

The 'possibly Buick' car is a 1920 Studebaker Special Six Model EH. The 1918-19 EH was known as the Light Six but  for 1920 Studebaker brought a new lighter car which was called the Light Six  so the older model was renamed Special Six. The Light Six - in its initial form it was 207 cubes - was the fore runner of what later became the Dictator.  The Special Six was a bigger car which was essentially a small bore, and shorter wheelbase,  version of the Big Six - 3 1/2" vs 3 7/8".  The mystery car can be identified as the 1920-21 variant because it has the small 'torpedo shaped' cowl lamps which the previous model did not have.

• Like 1