'51 Super "super dirty" transmission filter

Kestrel

I couldn't believe the amount of hardened crud on my transmission's oil pan filter. The poor Dynaflow must have been starved for flow.  27,500 miles on the car but  obviously the pan was never off.  Plenty of sludge there too.

2 days soaking  in a can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner  fixed that ! 🤮

IMG_1148.thumb.jpeg.9ca8ee1c8ee17694f9022d968133250a.jpeg

IMG_1166.thumb.jpeg.22fd53ab557f10fb6722dd9c89961864.jpeg

• Like 2

That's what I was thinking. Someone didn't have their morning coffee and poured in some 30 wt oil by mistake.  Yes, my crankcase oil pan looked the same.

The oil doesn't smell burnt. Car shifted and ran fine, but I didn't test drive it far. No leaks, except a small one out the rear torque ball thing. 

9 minutes ago, Kestrel said:

That's what I was thinking. Someone didn't have their morning coffee and poured in some 30 wt oil by mistake.  Yes, my crankcase oil pan looked the same.

The oil doesn't smell burnt. Car shifted and ran fine, but I didn't test drive it far. No leaks, except a small one out the rear torque ball thing. 

I'm sure the transmission is much happier with the new fluid. 

An empirical test for water in oil or fluid:  put a small drop on a hot plate or hot manifold...if there is a sizzle there is moisture; smoke only there is no moisture present at this time (but previous exposure to moisture will make it look like yours). 

Just curious why the shop manual says in large capitals  "TRANSMISSION MUST NOT BE FLUSHED" . It so states in the 25,000 mile Lubricare section. Chance of crud lodging in critical areas and causing trouble ?

I've read several past AACA post war threads on this subject and the consensus seems to be simply repeat filing and draining until the ATF runs clean, running engine and driving in between if possible. I've drained out initially about 5 qts.

I've watch many videos on flushing but they were always on modern cars.

Appreciate any comments. Thank you!

On newer vehicles, the "flush machines" have many variations.  The better ones put new fluid in as the old fluid is removed, automatically.  The  less expensive ones you had to orchestrate/watch manually, so that the trans pump didn't run dry temporarily.  Those machines didn't exist (as far as I know) prior to the popularity of "flushes" in the 1980s.

I also suspect that any newer ATF will have a stronger detergent additive package than the 1950s ATF did.  With everything now cleaned, run it a few times to get it hot (about a 30 mile drive, or so), then do a fluid removal/installation while it's still warm.  Then see how things go.

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

The tranny fluid back then was darker than todays fluid .If it did not smell burnt or was dark brown it was probably not overheated . At that age from sitting someone might have added 1-2 quarts of seal swell and that is what the Black stuff is from . If you have a tractor supply store buy the store brand GM fluid and drive about 1000 miles and Change again including converter .If the pan and screen is not filled with gunk , I would avoid the universal type and look for GM only . Don't leave the tranny empty so the seals dry up . Remember Dynos do not shift .   

• Thanks 1

Greatly appreciate the advice. I have 8 qts of NAPA's DEX/MERC  ATF fluid. It says it's recommended for pre-2006 GM cars requiring Dextron III Mercon fluid. It should be backwards compatible with these old Buicks.

I read the early Type A ATF contained sperm  whale oil. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kestrel said:

I read the early Type A ATF contained sperm  whale oil. 

That was another GM lube additive.  Maybe Posi-Traction additive?

The Type A fluid I remember seeing was pretty clear, not colored/dyed as the normal Dexron or other 1960s ATF was.  A minor issue.

Even the current Dexron VI is backward compatible to the first GM automatic in the '40s.  But I believe a Dexron III equivalent would work just fine.

NTX5467