Reasons for Stealing/Copying Threads

Fleetwood Meadow

I was SO excited to learn that a fellow Dodge Meadowbrook owner was having difficulty that I was knowledged in. He was describing it so well that it was identical to an issue I had had this summer. I don’t know how to insert a connection to another thread or anything like that so I told him to look in my profile at things I had posted to find the thread I had on the topic. I remembered that I was on a Dodge forum as well so I went there and took a couple pictures of the thread I had made and put them on his thread. I felt so good that I was finally imparting my knowledge onto someone else that I was telling the people around me about it. Then I got home and reread the post that he had made and it made me think it sounded too familiar. And I found it odd that the name of the thread didn’t make sense. The second and third words were fine but the first one wasn’t even close to fitting the thread nor was it something that is used to describe the problem he was having. So I went to the other forum and looked at my original post. Sure enough, it was my post word for word. He had taken everything I had written and put it on here as if it was his. That made me very suspicious of his motives. Not to mention that he had created his profile on here less than 24 hours ago. So with all that being said, I have to wonder, what would cause someone to take a thread and copy it onto a new one as if it were their own? What is the motivation? 

Edited by Meadowfleet
Misspelled two words (see edit history)

Most likely trying to make a spam account by making some real looking posts. Or maybe just trying to sneak a spam link in. The mods are wise to this sort of crap, and the spammers get more creative. It probably ends in the middle of the night with a bunch of ads for fake diplomas and legal documents, usually in a language not commonly used on this site.

Was there a link in the post you refer to? I saw a different one recently that looked so real I didn't report it, just thinking the OP had pasted something in by accident, and that the post was probably genuine. In retrospect, it was probably another stolen post. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for pointing it out.

EDIT: Just found the post you referenced and looked.... There are two links (which I disabled in the quote below). See them?

I have changed mobdro.bio/the fluid with the TDH ISO32 like many of the forums here have said to do and it still does it. When I try to take off with the clutch Lucky Patcherout it either stalls or stumbles for about a second then takes off.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I was SO excited to learn that a fellow Dodge Meadowbrook owner was having difficulty that I was knowledged in. He was describing it so well that it was identical to an issue I had had this summer. I don’t know how to insert a connection to another thread or anything like that so I told him to look in my profile at things I had posted to find the thread I had on the topic. I remembered that I was on a Dodge forum as well so I went there and took a couple pictures of the thread I had made and put them on his thread. I felt so good that I was finally imparting my knowledge onto someone else that I was telling the people around me about it. Then I got home and reread the post that he had made and it made me think it sounded too familiar. And I found it odd that the name of the thread didn’t make sense. The second and third words were fine but the first one wasn’t even close to fitting the thread nor was it something that is used to describe the problem he was having. So I went to the other forum and looked at my original post. Sure enough, it was my post word for word. He had taken everything I had written and put it on here as if it was his. That made me very suspicious of his motives. Not to mention that he had created his profile on here less than 24 hours ago. So with all that being said, I have to wonder, what would cause someone to take a thread and copy it onto a new one as if it were their own? What is the motivation? 

Edited 59 minutes ago by Meadowfleet 
Misspelled two words (see edit history)
The above word for word was posted on the P15-D24 Board

You guys are like detectives. I’m impressed. I did change some of it on the other site though to make it make sense for that site. I just couldn’t believe that someone would go from that site, take my post, then bring it to this site and pass it off as his own. I thought it was suspicious on the fact that this guy had a meadowbrook. I very rarely hear anyone talking about owning one. Bloo, I noticed the links added into the post and figured that was what he was adding. Curiousity almost made me click on one of them but I have no idea what is behind them. 

We are having similar issues on the model T forum I spend way too much time on.  Some of our regulars have been complaining about their photographs on our site even being used by other people in ebay listings! (has happened several times!) Our wonderful chief moderator just a day ago removed a couple links in one thread at the request of the other website. It is a huge problem throughout the internet, and few people understand the copyright rules or intellectual  property right laws.

Any such suspicions should be immediately reported to the moderators.

So, I will take this opportunity to say "THANK YOU!" to the moderators for this site! You all do an incredible job for which you do not get thanked often enough.

• Like 3