1937 Dictator and CE speedometer faces

Gary_Ash

I've been working with a couple of guys to make a replacement for the speedometer faces for 1937 Dictator cars and CE trucks.  I think these also fit 1937-39 Fast Transport trucks.  Working with photos of old speedometers and a drawing from the Studebaker National Museum, I was able to make a 3D CAD file for the part and another drawing for the markings and numbers.  I have ordered a prototype part 3D printed in white nylon (translucent) and have some decals for the markings made.  I had previously made a preliminary part as a test of stiffness, transparency (for backlighting), and surface quality - see image below.  I think I can have these final parts ready for ordering in January, delivery a few weeks later.  The price will be $75 each to cover the development and production costs.  These should be drop-in replacements, though you will have to pull off the needle and put it back on plus remove and replace two small screws.  I have also posted this info on the SDC Forum.  The image below is a CAD rendering of what the parts will look like (mostly).  The numbers and markings will blend in better than the computer image shows.  Let me know if you have an interest in ordering one or more of these parts. 

EDIT:  I was just told that it won't be necessary to remove the needle, just the two small screws holding the face to the rest of the assembly.  Duh, I should have noted that, makes the job easier.  Incidentally, the needle is made from Duralumin, according the Studebaker drawing.  Invented in 1903 in Germany, duralumin is an aluminum alloy containing copper, magnesium, and manganese, current designations are 2014 and 2024.  You may want to gently polish a badly oxidized needle using polishes for aircraft.

CE speedo 7.png

CE speedo 8.png

IMG_0036.JPG

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Gary, I have 3-4 old instrument panels lying around and worst part is the speedo face. My CE has an original in exquisite condition with no yellowing. However I think I would like an insurance policy so how do I get the do re me to you. Plus might make the spares desirable to sell. 

I'm still working our a few details with the 3D printing company to be sure the faces come out properly flat, but the prototype I just got looks pretty good.  I'll post an update when the next test part comes in.  As soon as good parts are here, I can send PayPal invoices which you can pay through your own PayPal account or use a credit card to PayPal.

Don, can you post a photo of your good speedometer?

Jim Hussey loaned me two old speedometers so I could check the fit of the new faces.  I haven't applied the decal with the numbers yet, but here is a prototype part installed on an old speedometer.  All of the holes lined up exactly and the part slipped nicely into the U-shaped frame behind the face.  I did find that I have to make the stop pins for the needle just a little taller, but I've already modified the 3D printing file.  The stop pins are printed as part of the face so that I don't have to make little brass pins and press them in.  When the speedometer is installed in the dash, the pins don't show.  As soon as the next test part gets here next week, I'll be ready to make a batch.

Here is a speedometer with an old face and the new one.

P.S.  I looked at some files I have for decals and found that the ones I made for another project are correct for the odometer wheels on the 1937 speedometer.  So, I have those, too, if you need them.  See this for how it's done on M5 truck odometers:  http://www.studegarage.com/instruments.htm

1937 speedo old sm.jpg

1937 speedo new face sm.jpg

1942 odometer numbers sample.JPG

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

I got the decal for the numbers and markings applied to the 3D printed part, then coated it with some clear UV protectant.  I think I got the scaling and placement correct.  Now I'll go order a batch of parts.

1937 speedo restored sm.jpg

Very nice job, thanks for doing this.  I have a new to me 41 Champion and the speedometer  looks like the M series, but in bad shape so it is hard to tell exactly.

.  Do you know if the decals for the M are 'close enough' for the 41?  It won't be a perfect car, but a decent looking speedometer would be great.  I found all new gauges, but no speedometer yet.   I am in the process of taking both dashes out and apart for checking everything and to replace switches and to paint the dash itself.   

I'd order the kit for the M if it is still available and close enough?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:37 PM, (S) said:

Yes we are getting it driving for Spring.    However, it is a 41 Champion 2 door.   Nice talking with you the other night.  

Looking forward to seeing it next week!  See you then!!.

Craig

3 hours ago, (S) said:

Email me the day/ time when you get out near here.  We got some good snow, and will get more.  Drive safe.

Mike,

I have to hold off on this trip because of all that snow, and the cold at this end.   I need to be in Lethbridge for the Swap Meet next Saturday (Feb. 16), and not risk the chances of the mountain passes being closed.  (I think you already know by now 'snow' is an acronym for 'Sh!t No One Wants'!)

If I don't get to Portland again in early April, I will be there at the end of May for sure. 

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

Don and others:

Finally, I have some of the 1937 speedometer faces ready.  For those of you that have messaged me about wanting one, I'll pack them up and get them out this week.  Here is a photo.

speedometer faces 1937 CE & Dictator.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I'll have to finish off a few more of these.  Didn't think they would be so popular.  Please bear with me, I'll let you two know when they are ready.

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, Gary_Ash said:

OK, I'll have to finish off a few more of these.  Didn't think they would be so popular.  Please bear with me, I'll let you two know when they are ready.

Gary— I need one, too. Are these still available?