owning, fixing and driving a Snapper's era Buick

cxgvd

This month I started to replace the 35 year old top of my Model 31 by making patterns, ordering new 59" steam bent top bows and 12 yards of black on black Stayfast topping material.  Mark Shaw replaced his top recently and I copied his photos because it is beautifully done and he used the rear window shape I have seen in original Buick literature.  Ontario entered a stay at home order for the next four weeks to flatten the Covid curve, should be about the time I need to replace my top.  Being a home body it is good to have an interesting hobby which can keep you home.

The first two photos are Mark's new top and then our car.

Get vaccinated,  Gary

818073626_NewTop13Buick2.jpg

886287655_NewTop13Model31.jpg

DSC_3942.JPG

• Like 3

Began my Model 31 top replacement project.  I received new oak bows yesterday from an Amish wood shop in Ontario, $20.00 each times 4 or $15.00 USD.

I marked them for orientation in case they are different side to side.

I made a window pattern with 8X 41/4" square lights with 3/4" bars between.  Seems about right.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_4850.JPG

DSC_4845.JPG

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Began my Model 31 top replacement project.  I received new oak bows yesterday from an Amish wood shop in Ontario, $20.00 each times 4 or $15.00 USD.

Curious about your supplier Gary. Would they do wood spoked wheels also?

The Overland has a wheel that was creaking making me wonder about it's safety going down the road.

Not sure, Doug.  Classic Coachworks in Blenheim arranged for the bows.  There is a fellow in Ontario, I don't know him but I know a guy who knows a guy.  I believe the go to company for respoking wood wheels is from Ohio.  He is well known in the hobby but I can not remember his name right now.

Thanks, I'll get back to you, Gary 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Not sure, Doug.  Classic Coachworks in Blenheim arranged for the bows.  There is a fellow in Ontario, I don't know him but I know a guy who knows a guy.  I believe the go to company for respoking wood wheels is from Ohio.  He is well known in the hobby but I can not remember his name right now.

Thanks, I'll get back to you, Gary 

Gary,

Are you thinking of Noah Stutzman?

Stutzman Buggy Shaft & Wheel Works
33650 C. R. 12 Baltic OH 43804
ZIP Code: 43804

Larry Schramm will have the phone number.

Edited by 95Cardinal
added comment (see edit history)

I like a website called BrassBuicks.  Recently I had a thought how to modernize my ignition/lights switch mounted on the dashboard of our 1915 without destroying the original.  The original switch is a mass of insulators and connections, some hot all of the time such as the horn and there are two different ignition push pull buttons.  They are marked B or M depending if you want the wet cell battery, which you do, or a set of dry cells, which are not rechargeable.  It is reasonably robust but I found the connections to be iffy and difficult to understand.  When one of the many insulators fails there would be problems.

Back to BrassBuicks, I posted a request if anyone had a switch as photographed and would be amiable to letting me have it to contact me.  I got a positive response and said it was perfect for my purposes, he mailed it to me the same day with the request to pay what I thought was fair.   Two weeks in the mail before it was delivered and it is ideal.  The change is even easier than I imagined, there is a heavy brass plate which I bored out and tapped for the modern push/pull switch and jam nut I previously acquired.  The original brass buttons even screw on to the new switch.  I have room in the face plate for four new switches.  More than enough, and I replaced the troublesome circuit breaker with a six panel fuse box, now every wire has it's own blade type fuse.

Some BrassBuick readers posted on the site information with diagrams how to rebuild my original switch.  It is a valuable internet resource and I am glad they let a guy like me be a member.

The first photo is the backside showing the connections of the 1915 switch and then the first connection on the modernization.

Thanks Buick members, Gary

DSC_4784.JPG

DSC_4889.JPG

Edited by cxgvd (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Began to install the new wooden bows into the prepared sockets of the 1913 this afternoon.  Photos show the old top being removed and the interior pads and straps.  Then the primed irons stacked and waiting, then the progress is slow as the bows are wedge shaped to fit tightly into the sockets and finally the first bow is in place.  Nearly, I left it a bit long so I could adjust the look when all four of the bows are in.  And a vine almost covering a farm shed along the path of Bev and I walk past everyday for exercise.

Stay well, let's get this virus in the rear view mirror, Gary

DSC_4858.JPG

DSC_4893.JPG

DSC_4921.JPG

DSC_4922.JPG

DSC_4905.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Keith:  You are welcome to my old top, maybe it would supply material to plug your hole and keep you dry.

I am going to be in Dorchester Friday morning and I could bring the piece along.  It is about 94"X 54".  A real good friend is going to try to silver solder some fine cracks I discovered in my windshield frame.

Here is another Model 31 photo with a beautifully fitted top.  Gary

DSC_1130.JPG

• Like 3

Keith;  Haartz cloth is the standard for antique cloth tops.  In America, Eric Haartz's company manufactures it and wholesales it to companies such as LaBaron Bonney or Bill Hirsch who then retail the fabric.  In Canada a company called Triden handles Haartz cloth Stayfast but they are a wholesale outfit.  Stan Uher, of Classic Coachworks has an account with them and he ordered me 12 yards at $89.00 each.  Long story short, Stan made a phone call to Toronto, had it shipped to Blenheim and I picked it up there, locally.  I sent Triden a cheque in the name of Classic Coachworks.

In your situation with the '16, I think I would attempt to bond a piece of my old top onto your old top and improve the appearance and cover the hole.  More than that you probably should entertain a new top.  At least you have a good pattern?

You want the old top let me know.

For the '15 McLaughlin the upholsterer is back on duty and I have hopes the car will be finished in the next few weeks.

Gary

DSC_4856.JPG

• Like 2

Gary, I definitely want a new top. I put mine up last winter and it actually has all of the centre part missing entirely. This is the part which goes from to back. I know about Haartz cloth. I think yours is black, or a dark colour? Mine is tan, so it wouldn't work to patch mine with. Also I wonder about the size?

I'll pm you.

Keith

The local stay at home edict from our government gives me time to have fun with cars.  My friend welded my steel windshield frame and then brazed the remaining holes closed, it is sound as a pound, as the first photo shows.  Next the frame is going to to be painted black.  Black is the correct finish as shown in the book, Buick, a complete history on page 97.

I've also fit the new bows to my top sockets, next week I'll paint the irons shiny black.

Pat, my upholsterer, is ecstatic with the patterns he produced for the front and rear backrest of the 1915 McLaughlin and we will be, hopefully, cutting leather hides this week.

Stay well, get vaccinated,  Gary

DSC_4940.JPG

DSC_4932 (2).JPG

DSC_4927.JPG

DSC_4946.JPG

• Like 3

As long as everyone can avoid contracting the virus this pandemic has indeed provided the time at least to put into our cars. 

The 'Lock Down' is a bit of a conundrum though as I believe I see more cars (regular traffic) on the road now than I did here in Windsor anyway, than even last summer. 

The Buick is looking great Gary!

Had our first shots - wishing every can Stay Well also.

Doug

My McLaughlin is on the final lap after a six year restoration which I thought would take three when I began with the cars purchase.  The McLaughlin, which is basically a Canadian Buick was together but hadn't been on the road since 1991.  The big problem was in the fragile rear axle, the crown wheel was weak with flaking and chunks missing.  I managed to obtain a used gear and a real good friend mated the pinion with the crown and outfit everything with modern bearings and seals.

The upholstery was delayed because of medical problems and COVID worries.  My guy, Pat, is currently sewing the pattern onto the leather and when he is ready we will stuff it with polyester and horse hair, add buttons and put it into the car.

Here is a photo of one of the six pieces the car takes, a side panel of the rear backrest.

Regards, Gary

Resized_20210520_192912.jpeg

• Like 1

Top time for the 1913.  Sockets and windshield are painted, bows are installed in the top irons and wrapped in a thin cotton which matches the top material.  I raised the height of the top to a bit over seven feet though I can still park the Buick in the garage or trailer with the top up. Second photo is left over leather for the McLaughlin after cutting out the patterns for the front and rear seat backs.  It will be used for door pockets and panels, misc pieces, etc.

Stay safe, nothing going on in Ontario, Gary

DSC_4953.JPG

DSC_4951.JPG

DSC_4954.JPG

DSC_4948.JPG

• Like 2

Pat has finished sewing the diamond tufted seat backs for the front and rear seats of the 1915 McLaughlin.   We expect to stuff them, add the buttons,  and install the new soft leather into the car on Monday afternoon.  Progress, have nowhere to go though, a friend is finishing his 1913 Twombly and we are planning to have a do in July and call it the "Two New Car Tour".

Regards, Gary

DSC_4964.JPG

DSC_4965.JPG

• Like 1

Busy month at home with a Buick and a McLaughlin to keep me out of mischief.  The 1913 top is standing on it's own and ready for top pads and recovering.  Pat is installing buttons and horse hair into the seat backs of the McLaughlin.  I am getting the one year only 1913 lanterns to light up with 12 volts, I finally repaired a broken lens in one of the lamps and I discovered the lens frame is nickel plated, so I stripped off the black paint.

Bev and I have been invited to a small gathering of friends the third weekend in June.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_4981.JPG

DSC_4979.JPG

DSC_4968.JPG

• Like 2

Finished sewing the top pads this afternoon and sewed a center strap, too.  I took an hour to fit the bakelite parts and bulbs I purchased earlier from Restoration Supply in Ca to light up my lanterns.  Success, fitting the old connectors with the new parts, a bit of filing and sanding.  I bought a new 12V 9AH lead acid battery from Amazon which even fits the original wooden battery box.

Tomorrow, back on upholstery,  Gary

DSC_4982.JPG

DSC_4983.JPG

DSC_4984.JPG

• Like 4

Maybe such as most things the preparation work is 95% of the job, well, my prep work for the new top for the '13 is completed today.  The photos show the top pads which are comprised of three layers of stout canvas and four layers of Stayfast topping material, nailed to the wooden bows with 5/8ths" tacks .  The second shows the first piece of Stayfast, black on black, the main deck and the third shows my top straps, two layers of canvas and three Stayfast.  I installed the front to back center strap which fits my definition of over restored because I like it.  The extra strap looks like someone cares to me.

Stay well, Bev and I are getting our second vaccine injection Monday,  Gary

DSC_4994 (3).JPG

DSC_4996 (2).JPG

DSC_4997.JPG

• Like 2

To me it is always a red letter day when I successfully sew the main deck and side panels together, with help from my wife we did it.  She lifted and supported the 8' 8" of Stayfast and I guided it under the needle, four seams.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_5010.JPG

DSC_5011.JPG

DSC_5012.JPG

DSC_5016.JPG

DSC_5017.JPG

• Like 3

Today, Saturday, I removed my old hidem gimp and replaced it with a low luster new length along the rear backrest.  I fabricated the rear wings and installed them ready for my back curtain tomorrow.  The windshield baffle is the final piece before the car has to be good to go Friday.  My new windshield hinge is still at the platers, supposed to be finished today.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5021.JPG

DSC_5022.JPG

• Like 3

Top is on my 1913 Buick Model 31, must make some adjustments and trim the excess material tomorrow, add the hidem gimp on the first and last bow.  Tada.

Friday we are away with a small group of old car friends for the weekend.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5038.JPG

DSC_5043.JPG

DSC_5045.JPG

• Like 3

Today I installed an inline fuse, two junction blocks and the 16ga wiring to light up my dormant lanterns.  I plan to use the four terminal junction block mounted under the front floor as the battery recharging point and all the wires are carried in stainless steel conduit.  Ford Model T supplied the lamp switch mount on the dash board.

Stay well, get vaccinated, sorry to hear Cadillac Carl passed away,  Gary

DSC_5047.JPG

DSC_5048.JPG

DSC_5050.JPG

• Like 2

Driving our 1913 Buick on tour with a group of friends for the first time since last September.  Owen Sound, On is the home base for the weekend, finished the top job yesterday and the car is running well.  BBQ at the host's home this evening and a 50 mile drive with a picnic Sunday.

Stay well,  Bev and Gary

DSC_5052 (2).JPG

DSC_5077.JPG

DSC_5087.JPG

• Like 3

We have an upholsterer, Pat, who is doing a first class job of installing the leather diamond tufted seatbacks.  We work together a few hours during the afternoon on the McLaughlin in my garage after he finishes his day job.  Although he made the patterns and sewed them together at his home.

The first photo is the rear seatback stretched out on a frame with two rows of buttons installed which form the diamond shapes.  Then the front seatback stuffed with horsehair and nailed into the waiting car.  The final photo are a '48 Chevy and '41 Ford a local horse owner added to his fence row.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_5139.JPG

DSC_5156.JPG

DSC_5158.JPG

DSC_5143 (2).JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Independence Day to our American cousins, Canada Day was subdued.  I was sorry to miss the AACA Auburn show this weekend though I have been busy.  I had my painter friend come over and respray the single stage poly paint on the black fenders and bonnet.  He laid on a beautiful smooth coat which will require only a light polish.  

The last picture is a farm scene along our walking path.

Next week Bev and I resume organizing the Snapper's pre '16 tour in September in Chatham, Ontario.

Stay well, get vaccinated, so our governments can safely open the international border.

Gary

DSC_5166.JPG

DSC_5167.JPG

DSC_5168.JPG

DSC_5151.JPG

• Like 2

Progress photos from the 1915 McLaughlin.  First shot is the cover I made when I had a 1929 Chevrolet, car is in Quebec and the remaining thin cover fits my McL.  The second is the car nearing its restoration completion and then the finished electrical switch and dashboard.  The next two are the body numbers of my 1913 Buick stamped into many places in the woodwork, 5551 and shows the Buick has always been a car and not made together from garage sweepings.  The next number 14715 is the job number for the McLaughlin, interesting the cars serial number also is stamped in the wood of the front seat riser.  I know the McLaughlin's history from when it was new.

Bev and I applied to attend the Old Car Festival in Dearborn, Mi after Labour Day.  We live in hope.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_5176 (2).JPG

DSC_5177 (2).JPG

DSC_5178.JPG

DSC_5179.JPG

DSC_5169.JPG

DSC_4788.JPG

• Like 3

Yesterday the Canadian Prime Minister announced the US/Canada international border is expected to re open in mid August to fully vaccinated, non essential travel.  For Bev and I it is the declaration we have been waiting for which will allow us to host the Snapper's Brass and Gas touring region the week starting Sept 19th in Chatham On.  Full steam ahead.  In five days of touring Kent County we will visit, RM/Sotheby's, firetruck collections, scenic drives by rivers and lakes, eat catered lunches, hike in the woods and generally enjoy ourselves.

All the days are set out, we have two months to map the routes, finalize the meals, print a comprehensive touring book and register the guests.

The last photo is a 1923 Gray Dort taken at the location of the factory when the car was built in Chatham.

Bev and Gary

DSC_3941.JPG

DSC_3447.JPG

DSC_4095 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Our 1915 McLaughlin is nearly finished and I have been driving the car around my neighbourhood getting used to the clutch and transmission and making adjustments to the carburetor and brakes.  This afternoon I invited my wife for a ride and she is always amused by the spinner in the oil sight gauge.

Notice the push/pull knobs on the switch are solid brass so I polished them instead of painting them black.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5222.JPG

DSC_5224.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Registration forms were released this past weekend and Bev and I are presently hunting venues and service providers to host an interesting Pre '16 five days of driving around Kent County.  Please feel free to contact me if you are able to come to Chatham, On the week starting Sept 19th for a tour we call Hidden Hills.

Today we planned a route we are calling nature day and I snapped a few photos.  By the way I had our street outside of our house resurfaced, nothing but the best will do.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_5200.JPG

DSC_5225.JPG

DSC_5226.JPG

DSC_5233.JPG

• Like 2

Sunday a group of good friends met in Leamington at the Roma Club and had a very pleasant day visiting Point Pelee National Park.  We drove a 1906 Cadillac, '13 White, '14 Ford was the newest and our 1913 Buick.  We had a picnic lunch, walked the marsh boardwalk and visited the point, which happens to be Canada's most southerly point about the same latitude as Rome or northern California.  Mostly we talked, who fixed things, when the latest project will be completed, wedding plans, grandkids, friend stuff.  Good times, in less than twenty miles total for the day.

Below are some pictures of the cars and general Park scenes.  Pizza at the Roma Club followed before disbanding until we meet again.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5249.JPG

DSC_5250.JPG

DSC_5259.JPG

DSC_5271.JPG

DSC_5273.JPG

DSC_5280.JPG

DSC_5292.JPG

DSC_5296.JPG

• Like 3

Teaching my old Singer to sew leather.  The sheet of waxed paper allows the presser foot to keep the material together and the drive prongs to pull it under the needle.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5328.JPG

DSC_5327.JPG

DSC_5326.JPG

• Like 2

Received an email from my local car club informing me a show I enjoy is planned for Sunday, Sept 5th.  I want to debut my 1915 McLaughlin there, just the push to get her finished.

Visited with my local restoration shop this afternoon and we worked out some door panel details, he also had four door escutcheon plates, beautifully nickeled, and will go perfectly on my project which I needed.  I already had the door pulls restored and waiting to go on the car.

The weather is oppressively hot, though the McLaughlin is in air conditioning and no excuses remain.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_5333.JPG

DSC_5330.JPG

DSC_5335.JPG

• Like 2

I'll bet that show is at the Village down here right Gary?

I hope to see you, Bev and the car there!

It's their first car show this year and with a new Executive doing their best to start having events as things have opened up. We all hope new leaders and new ideas can make the transition.

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather.

• Thanks 1

I think I can, I know I can, make my deadline to attend my first show with the 1915 McLaughlin on Sept 5th.  Today I installed the main deck of the folding top and trim it up with hidem welting.  Pat, the upholsterer did a magnificent job of preparing the seat cushion springs from a less than ideal set.  They will be the last part to go into the car before the show and he says next Friday the job should be complete.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5370.JPG

DSC_5378.JPG

DSC_5371.JPG

DSC_5379.JPG

DSC_5382.JPG

• Like 3