Trumpet horn mounts ?

Hi all,

I recently bought a nice set of chrome trumpet horns for my '31 Chrysler Imperial.

I know they did not come standard on the '31's, but they did on the '32's.

I have searched the web to see how they are mounted and I cannot find a clear picture of their mounting brackets . Lots of pictures of the horns.

I think there is a bracket that uses the headlight bolt, but I'm not sure.

I am a pretty good fabricator and I could "bend / weld" a home made version, but if any of you have travelled this path,

and would be willing to post a picture of how you did it, I would be most appreciative.

I know they hang just below the headlights and kind of fill in the void between the grille shell and the fender.

Mine have a trumpet about 12" long.

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Colorado

1931_chrysler_imperial_4_door_sedan_limousine_ae350959c4.jpg

Well thanks to S.Berliner III we found out the answer to our horn mounting issue.

Seems like the '32's had a small pad cast into the headlight mounting bar and on the Imperials these were chromed.

Finding a set of these will be harder than finding a blue unicorn.

Sooo the old fabricator will now make a set of horn mounting brackets that will use the headlight mounting bolt.

Now where did I put my acetylene wrench and my 3/16" steel plate ???

Will post pictures for those who follow.

Mike in Colorado

Thanks to all for the info and leads on parts to accomplish my mission of adding outside horns similar to what came standard on the '32's.

Here is what this weekend was devoted to.

A nice set of chromed short trumpet horns (that work) was procured on evilbay from England, though they were made in Toledo, Ohio.

Thanks to a little blacksmithing and a couple of strips of 3/16" cold rolled steel, I made my own brackets that use the headlight bolt as a mounting platform.

First one was easy. Second on118.thumb.JPG.01c6f193fc7ec65d847a4a66e958ed4f.JPGe (a mirror image was a bear). Seems Chrysler did not use a "vertical" bolt and a flat pad. The bolt angles back about 15 degrees, so the brackets have to compensate for the angle, and then "dropped" to position the horn properly between the fender and grille shell.

Yes I know they are a little "cocked" toward the outside. This is a picture from the third trial mount. The brackets were subsequently "tuned" and now they sit level and square with exactly the same distance from the fenders and the grille and the light housings (X-Y-Z axis) to those in Rio Linda.

And no the floor is not tilted.  Old Mikey can't hold a camera square, as evidenced by the girts in the background

100_2292[1].JPG

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 4 years later...