1920’s carb intake accessory

ron hausmann

All,

I recently bought a 1925 Kissel Model 6-55 car with a supposedly original 6-55 engine, but the engine is equipped with a funky carburetor air intake, shown in the pictures. See the balls on the over-engine pipe work. I think it might be for preheating carb intake air. 

This fitting is not standard nor found on other Kissel cars.

Have any of you seen this fitting before? Is it aftermarket?

And the information about this? What is this?

Thanks, Ron 

808A0A84-565F-432E-A01F-95B2DFFBCAE0.jpeg

9E704046-59AA-49CF-9DE9-A97DE4F4EFAC.jpeg

5A7DAD46-06BE-44A9-9175-405D83FD9774.jpeg

Stromberg, and no doubt other carb manufacturers , often listed "upgrade" replacement carbs and the necessary adapter parts to fit them to the cars and trucks of the day. And in the older catalogs at least air heating shrouds like this were often listed, either separately or as part of an installation kit.  Is the carb itself still a standard factory model or has it been replaced with improved / updated  version ?  Carb king is probably your best source for carb and related information. Somewhere I have a couple of Stromberg catalogs that show several different styles of pre- heat shrouding. 

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Ron, I think you are correct. It's either a carburetor stove pipe(the correct term from the era) or it's a henweigh.............

Ron.......Another car??????? Your wife is a saint! 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...