1969 Electra, reference engine paint

sebastienbuick

1 hour ago, sebastienbuick said:
Hello, thank you for your answers ;) 
I had already painted my engine with a red aerosol paint but now I would like to paint it with the original shade with a single-component or two-component paint that is applied with a spray gun.

thanks for the internet links ;) 

Then I'd go for the ceramic from Eastwood.  I read somewhere that too much paint on an engine will trap heat and cause the paint to peel and / or burn off.  If your engine has a good even coat on it and you're okay with the color, I'd leave it as is.   How many people in France are going to know if it's the correct shade of red?  

• Like 2

Howdy.  I presume your "RAL" number might be similar to "Pantone" colors?  Where a particular Pantone shade is issued a standardized number that can be reproduced anywhere?

One resource might be a sales brochure for your car.  Many times, there were engine pictures in there, of some sort.  Might not be the best resource, as the color might appear to be a little "dark".  Some of the old paint books used to list engine paint formulas in them, but that was a hit/miss situation, by observation.

Other than the correct shade of red, the engine paint's main function is to cove the bare metal such that surface rust doesn't happen.  At the engine plants, their purpose was to just get coverage of the paint, NOT in a concours manner at all.  

Unless your existing color is too deep, too crimson, or too orange . . . for a red, then leaving it as is is a good suggestion.  How did you arrive at using that particular color of red?  Just curious.

The factory engine paint was usually a basic enamel, not related to "car paint" per se.  GM was using acrylic lacquer for the car paint back then.  It's not unusual for the paint on the intake manifold to "cook" in the area of the heat crossover passage, on each side of the carb.  

Once you find the shade of paint you like, or is the most correct, then a paint store can match it for you.  Single-stage would probably be the best as BC/CC paint on an engine is very much overkill, to me.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers ;) 
I am trying to restore my buick to the nearest of origin, I would like it to be like when it came out of the factory at the time :) 
And that's why I'd like to paint my engine with the color that comes closest to the origin :) 
Indeed the "RAL" hue is a universal color chart, that's why I'm looking for that.
I saw that the red hue "RAL 3020" this brings a little closer to the original hue too.
thank you ;) 

In the USA, where I ran across the Pantone chart was when we were getting some T-shirts printed for a car show I was involved in.  It's also more prevalent in the sign world, too, I suspect as accurate colors can be very important in the advertising and company logo realm of things.

Red was a somewhat common engine color in the '50s and '60s.  Whether on particular engine options in some brands of cars to farm tractor/industrial engines.  They were ALL different, although similar.  And, of course, GM had spray cans of engine paint for these things, back then.  Most were discontinued when that engine family/option was no longer in production.  Finding a "Buick Red" paint might be tricky as I doubt that GM has licensed it to any other paint supplier to sell.  Some of the normal spray paint suppliers might say it's "Buick Red", but no guarantees that it's accurate for your  car.  Which gets back to the "custom mix" or "close-match" situation, unfortunately.

In the USA, by observation, DupliColor is the company that builds all of the current GM touch-up tube paint, for GM.  It's also the main supplier of touch-up paint, period, by observation, whether with the OEM brand or their own brand on it.  They also have other OEM-related colors for wheel paint and such, too.  You might order up the particular DupliColor paint listed above and see how it goes.  

With DupliColor's OEM connections, you might see if a supplier more local to you might be able to procure it, but getting them to order a single can might be tricky, minimum order quantities being what they might be.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

14 hours ago, old-tank said:

You might notice small differences in shades with the engine out of the car, but installed in the shade of  a hood no one can tell.

it's true, you're right ;) 
Once the motor is put back in place, with the shadow, and the elements on the turn, we see less the difference.
I will see this in the week :)