1947 Chrysler Windsor

caddy60s

I have a 1947 Chrysler club coupe with fluid drive. I understand the checking of oil & adding of oil in the transmission but I am not so sure how to check the oil in the Fluid drive.  If some one could give me the information on checking

the oil level on the fluid drive it would be appreciated.

Regards

Bruce Watson

Others with more knowledge will chime in but I believe there is an access hole in the front floor that has to be removed which will allow you to reach an inspection hole in the bellhousing.  From there a plug in the fluid drive unit can be opened to check it’s oil level.  This info might also be found in a Motors manual or shop manual for your car.

This question on checking the fluid level and what type of oil to use comes up every few months about the Hydraulically Operated Transmission (M-5)  and the Fluid Coupling

You need a factory shop manual to help answer your questions.

Or if you cannot afford a factory shop manual go to My Mopar.com and look at the dealer service films on how to service your Chrysler.

Do not change the fluid in your Fluid Drive coupling....... if necessary add to it with ISO 22 or ISO 32 hydraulic fluid.

If you find it low on fluid after you learn how to check and fill it the bellows seal is damaged , split, or cracked and will be very costly to repair if it even can be fixed correctly.

The separate M-5 transmission uses 10 Weight oil... about 3-1/2 pints. You can change that out with new oil if you want.

There is an access opening in the trans tunnel below the instrument panel. Roll back the carpet, it is on the passenger side. Remove the cover, underneath you will see the bellhousing. Pry out the round tin hole filler. 'Bump' the starter until the plug comes into view. Stuff a rag around the hole, unscrew plug. Pour in oil until it drips out. Use the same oil as the trans, tractor fluid, TDH type, ISO 32 grade. Or 10W motor oil.

If you go to the Chrysler section and search 'fluid drive' you will find a lot of info on the care of the trans and fluid drive, and the best driving technique, there were a couple of long threads in 2008 that are very informative.