Wanted: Engine for 1924 Light Six Model EM

Wanted: Engine for 1924 EM Light Six Coupe.  Car was featured on the cover of the January - February 2011 Antique Studebaker Review.  I've not yet torn it down, but lost two cylinders and the engine is not recoverable.  I'm seeking a complete Light Six engine, including water pump, water pump distributor support bracket, Wagner S-509 starter, Wagner Type-S-462 Generator.  I may be interested in a complete drivetrain.  Please email me at: dave.recker4@gmail.com.  Thanks, Dave

Dave,

If you don't come up with a complete engine I have a Wagner starter, generator and distributor if needed. My spare 1924 block went to Europe two years ago and is running in a car now. I'll keep my eyes open for one but you may need to buy a car to get one.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/studebaker/light-six/2147674.html

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks.  I appreciate your reply.  I'm going to give it some time, hoping for a good engine/drivetrain, but will keep your information.  I've not torn it down yet, but believe the crankshaft broke, as I lost two pistons through the sides of the block, taking out the starter on one side, and the generator/distributor/water pump combination on the other. Unbelievable.  I've had the car for a decade and rarely a problem. I was on my way home from a car show, where it's always a crowd favorite. Anyway, I need to start with a good block.  If found, I may contact you for the rest.  

Again, thank you,

Dave 

Same thing happened to my '24 EJ Touring about 15 years ago.  The #6 piston failed at the wrist pin letting the full length of the rod fall out of the cylinder and it went through both sides of the block, taking out the starter on one side and the water pump, etc., on the other.  Took a while, but found an engine and rebuilt it, so if you do find a block only and not a full engine, and need a good crank or other misc. parts, please contact me.

What kind of speeds were you two typically pushing your cars too?  Kinda makes me think about replacing my original cast iron pistons although the pistons were not the weak link during a competitive 25,000 mile durability test run by General Motors Research on a 1922 Light Six.

Was idling in the driveway while I dusted it before loading it on the trailer to go to a show.  Like most of us with bad habits, I reved the engine a bit before I engaged the clutch, and it broke with a very loud "bang".  Engine kept running until I shut it off.  Pistons are now aluminum from Egge.  Took 2+ years to find a block, plus then time to gather other parts, machine, etc.  One flaw is obviously the pistons, the other is that the rods will clear the bore when the crank at at bottom for that rod.

Thanks for the info. I'm not terribly worried as I fully inspected the pistons when rebuilding but I will consider replacing them when I have the time to take the car down. I did have two other sets of cast iron pistons from other Light Six engines. One was like my originals (from a 1922) and looked fine but the other set were different (1924) and several had cracks. 

I do know where several 1920-mid 23 blocks are but shipping from Australia will be expensive.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

Egge does not have new pistons for the '22 engine, but did for the '24 EJ.  I have original pistons in my '22.  BTW, Scott, my "repaired" aluminum head did not last long without leaking again, so I am going to order a new casting later this winter to replace it.

As for my engine failure, I was probably doing 35 to 40 miles an hour. The engine was revved a bit, and I was happy that it was driving so smoothly, as I'd  just replaced the U joints  behind the transmission    I had some vibration and then the whole engine came apart.   

Thanks for any continued support I et on this site searching for an engine and components. I'll  wait to buy the  other components  until I start with a good block or find a complete engine. Several people have recommended I put a newer six cylinder Studebaker engine under the hood  from the 1940s or 50s. With a lot of work I guess it would work, but I'd really like to put a 1920s motor back in it.

Again, thanks .

Dave

8 hours ago, bluetaxi said:

Egge does not have new pistons for the '22 engine, but did for the '24 EJ.  I have original pistons in my '22.  BTW, Scott, my "repaired" aluminum head did not last long without leaking again, so I am going to order a new casting later this winter to replace it.

1920-22 was a 3 ring piston with an 11/16" piston pin and unbushed. Then sometime in 1922 they switched to a 4 ring piston with a bushed pin. In 1924 they changed to a larger diameter (7/8") piston pin. Wonder if the larger pin design maybe created a problem? Interesting that Egge had the larger pin piston but not the smaller. This could probably fixed with a thicker wall bushing.

Regardless, need to find Dave an engine. I know there is a spare engine out there, we just need to find it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2018 at 7:23 AM, bluetaxi said:

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.  

My engine is making TERRIBLE noises - even tho the individual I purchased it from only 70 miles ago said it was in perfect condition.  "It will take awhile to get use to the sound of these 1920s engines, but it will grow on you" he said. After hearing of Daves mishap I took it to a restoration shop to look at and they were afraid to let it idle because of the bad noises coming from the inside.  So now I am in the middle of a tear down and finding missing pieces on the inside.  We are all surprised it even ran the 70 miles I have put on it in 2 years.

I sold a running 23/24 Light Six doodlebug to a club member from NC several years ago. He and his wife came to VT and trailered it home. He has since passed and I don't know what happened to the doodlebug. If you send me a PM I can provide his name and location if you want to pursue it. 

I have some Light Six engines and crank shafts , oil pans , transmissions etc.

Come and look at these.

Give me the block casting numbers.

I am having health problems . so if someone can come and identify these.

I believe that these are 1926-29 but one has an aluminum bracket that holds the Generator oil pump ,distributor and waterpump.

I am 100 miles west of South Bend on Interstate 80 in Joliet Illinois.

Edited by rbk (see edit history)