1960s Seattle Pontiac dealer?

nzcarnerd

The recent post regarding the 1969 Chevrolet had me thinking to ask here if anyone knows who the Pontiac dealer was in Seattle in 1964.

I can't remember if I have asked this one before. If I have, maybe then question will reach a new audience.

My 1965 Bonneville was built in California in the first week of production - date 09A. The body is #143. Serial 26239C100824.  It was bought new by a New Zealand businessman who was working in the US at the time. He brought it home with him a year later and it was first registered in NZ in November of 1965.

Oddly enough the engine number is 821, so it is not 'matching numbers'. Of course the 1 might just be a badly stamped 4. The block is date late July 1964.

I have no information apart from that I got from PHS many years ago but there was no info re the original dealer.

Does anybody remember, or have information on who the Pontiac dealer was at the time?

• Central Pontiac Inc, Broadway & East Pine, Seattle, WA - code 25 063
• Bud Meadows Pontiac, Inc., 4724 Roosevelt Way, Seattle, WA - code 25 289
• Totem Pontiac, Seattle, WA - code 25 433

~ from the Ultimate GTO site, the only ones listed with a 'Seattle' address. http://www.ultimategto.com/art18.htm
List is NOT complete and was last updated in 2009.

1 hour ago, c49er said:

Bud Meadows was also on 128th and Aurora Ave N. The early 60's building is still there. I watched it being built on my way to school.

I need to dig out my PHS file again but I am fairly sure there was no info about the original dealer there.

I was told by the original purchaser of the car that he bought it in Seattle. So not much to go on.

Original dealer name won't be in the PHS info, but the dealer code will.
I took up where UltimateGTO left off and have been compiling dealer codes in my own list, have added another 10-15%. Check your PHS info and I can see if I have the dealer ID. At least I can ID the 'zone'.

5 minutes ago, WQ59B said:

Original dealer name won't be in the PHS info, but the dealer code will.
I took up where UltimateGTO left off and have been compiling dealer codes in my own list, have added another 10-15%. Check your PHS info and I can see if I have the dealer ID. At least I can ID the 'zone'.

I moved house a couple of weeks ago so it might take a while to find.

There was another Pontiac dealer in Seattle in the university district. Wockner Pontiac. This dealer was at the time the only non union dealer and the local auto machinists union had to hire pickets to walk the sidewalks in front of the dealership for a number of years. To finally beat the union Wockner sold to Bud Meadows who moved the dealership to 125th and Aurora. This dealership had a round showroom which still stands  now selling used cars.

just saying,

brasscarguy

I currently have a bunch of Bud Meadows addresses, maybe some are the same- dealerships seemed to used to use 'cross-street' addresses more in the past :

Bud Meadows Pontiac - 2705 Northeast Sandy Blvd, Portland
Meadows Pontiac - 3085 Northeast Sandy Blvd, Portland
Bud Meadows Pontiac - 31st & Northeast Sandy Blvd, Portland
Bud Meadows Pontiac - 12800 Northeast Sandy Blvd, Portland [1968, 1969]
Bud Meadows Pontiac - 4724 Roosevelt Way, Seattle [1965]

Bud Meadows - 128th and Aurora Ave N

Is '3085' and '31st St' the same location?
Is '12800' and '128th' the same location?

Edited by WQ59B (see edit history)

It's odd that 128Th is listed as the street address for Bud Meadows as Aurora ave at 130Th St is a major street intersection.

The back entrance into the garage is on 128Th St.

The way the public enters is right at Aurora and 130th st.

I used to walk by that dealership every day on my way to and from school.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

• Wockner was at 4724 Roosevelt at least as early as 1950.
• Bud Meadows was at the same address at least as early as 1965.
• Meadows's other showroom at Sandy & 31st was built/opened in 1967.