Restoration project 1928 Boyer Gramm Special fire truck

After some cleaning, I decided to order a gasket kit from Olson’s. It came in late last week. The reason I decided to to replace the gaskets was I started seeing a lot of blue rtv. At some point someone has replaced the block and didn’t replace the gaskets. Also some were leaking. I stood the engine up one the bell housing to pull the pan so I could clean it and any oil that was left ended up on the floor. After pulling the pan, it was. The rear main seal that was the cause. To change it, I needed to pull the flywheel, and bell housing off to get the crank out so I could get the new seal and seal holder back into the grove. I was able to get the seal and holder in as well as the crank back in. The bearings all look good. I have the front cover and pan back on. I’ll be cleaning up the bell housing and flywheel tomorrow so I can get it right side up so the head can go back on. I have already painted the pan so once it gets uprighted, I won’t have to paint it. I have the intake and water pump painted as well. I’m hoping to have it all put back together and painted soon. The frame needs some attention before I can put it back in. Til next time. Mike

I was able to get the engine right side up last night. Then I put the flywheel housing on. Cleaned up and and mounted the oil filter base. Tonight i had to help my neighbor with his campers water heater. Then hang a couple of lights in the garage. Then dinner and then I was able to get to work on the engine. I was able to get the head back on with the help from my daughter. She stuck around and learned how to use a torque wrench. She torqued the rocker arm shaft down for me. Then it was time to put it to bed till tomorrow. 

AD26D686-C43B-4CEE-B820-E1DBCED621F7.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

After a week plus cleaning the engine and transmission, it got a coat of paint. Then I was able to get the manifolds and water pump back on. Yesterday I worked on getting the motor mounts back in. I also put the steering box in, it has to go in before the engine. I got the engine to marry back to the trans after about an hour. Started installing them back into the frame, but walked away after a couple hours with no success. I went out this morning and removed the trans. Loosened up the rear mount and it finally sat into the mounts. Then it was tighten up the mounts and reinstall the trans which went right in. Then it was back to cleaning up more parts and painting them. It’s slow going, but for the most part is quite relaxing after a long day at work. Turn the tunes on and pop the top on a beverage and relax 

DFCB6899-7EAA-44D2-9B75-D9F182DFF3DB.jpeg

8833B563-902A-44C1-9380-566B25CDD142.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of pic type progress, just a lot of cleaning of parts. I did get a new tool in to bend up some new metal. The boss has already asked me to bend up some on the next big job. So it will pay for itself in the long run. It’s a bolston 48” pan and box brake. The base is 1 1/2 X 1/4 angle. I’m hoping to have some pics soon. Mike

5AAA0537-EE75-4B94-A722-B193497D409C.jpeg

• Like 2

After work Tuesday, I switched vehicles, I have a company van I drive home, and headed to the bearing shop. I was surprised that I can still get all the bearings I need for the transfer case and fire pump. I really wasn’t surprised by the price, about 2K for all of them. They should be here by the end of the week. 

I was able to get the seals out for the water side of the pump, just need to find a place to get them. They are definitely not what I expected to see. They are rubber and brass. I’ll have to take a pic after work today so you all can see it. Mike

• Like 2

11 hours ago, r1lark said:

Looks like you are moving right along Mike. But that bill for the bearings, wow!  😮

That bill is for 14 bearings and 4 races. The biggest one I found online for about 200. It’s more than I thought, but not surprised at all. 

The only that’s of concern at this point is one has a hole in it that the new one might not have. I’ll cross that bridge when I see the new one. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to stop after work on Wednesday to pick up the bearings I ordered. They only had part of them. The others should be in next week I hope. I’ve been cleaning parts and removing a lot of old paint on the fire pump. Yesterday and today I was able to put some of the new bearings in the transfer case. Once I get all the parts cleaned, paint removed, and new bearings in! should be able to prime and paint. I think I’ll have to paint the pump and transfer case separately. I’ll probably hang them from my gantry crane so I can paint them. They have a lot of different angles to shoot all at once. It will take some time to do. I’m hoping to have it all painted, assembled and back in the frame by the end of June.

My oldest daughter has gotten engaged. They are planning on an October 2022 wedding date. She wants me to bring her to the wedding in the fire truck. She keeps telling me how many days till I need to have it done. I keep telling her I’m going to do my best to make it happen. Mike

• Like 2

I had a good day in the shop today. I picked up my front fenders, the dash/cowl pieces and the hood pieces from a friend that gave them a coat of epoxy primer last weekend. I made new wood for that goes between the fenders and frame. Theirs also a piece of wood that goes on top of the frame for the hood to rest against. Got the fenders mounted and the hood backer on. I added the left side hood top and side. Unfortunately the side didn’t line up the way it should have. After checking and rechecking my measurements, I’m was an inch off at the top. It took me awhile to figure out the radiator was tipped forward with the firewall square to the frame. I racked the radiator and firewall and things look pretty good now. I did get both fenders and the hood tops on. It is starting to look like a truck again. 

I’m  still waiting on bearings to come in. Still soaking parts to degrease and remove some of the paint. Once parts come in, I’ll be reassembling the pump and transfer case and then paint them. 

In my opinion, it’s good to have goals. I set them just about every day at work. With this project, I generally set a goal each week. The goal for the this year is to have a running and drivable chassis. The bed has a lot of wood and is a good winter project. Time will tell. Mike

288751AF-A3C1-40D3-B044-8538A62C2230.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to update you all since it has been awhile. I’ve been busy getting some of the bodywork done on the cowl and front fenders. Now I remember why I don’t like to do that, but it needs done. It just take me longer than I like.  I’m hoping to spray some primer either this weekend or next. It all depends on work and life in general. 
I did get the exhaust tigger up with the help of my neighbor. I have seen and helped someone TIG before, but have never tried to do it. So he offered and I was glade he was able to help out. I do have it installed with a temporary hanger. It’s a bit long for now. I’ll cut it off once I get the the running boards made. I think it would be best to be a couple of inches back from the outside edge. 
I did finally received the oil filters that I ordered in May on Monday. Tonight I took a break from bodywork and installed the new filter, checked the oil level, and wired up a battery. Of course the battery was low so out came the charger. After some cranking, it finally came to life. It really sounds good with the new exhaust hooked up. It has been over a year since it was running. It really feels great since I have done so much work and in one evening it all comes together. I still need to hook up the radiator before I can check the timing and such. I now can relate to Matt and his Lincoln. Mike 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Life always seams to get in the way.

I have been working on the cowl and front fenders getting them ready for color. I have them ready to do the final sanding and then paint, but life got in the way and now it’s too cold to work on them. I do wish I had a heated shop. I did use an idea from one of you ( sorry I don’t remember who) and made a holder for the fenders for working on them. 
Late yesterday I moved the bed into the garage that’s attached to the house.  And it’s also a lot closer to my wood shop in the basement.  I don’t heat it all the time, but do have a gas heater that I do use from time to time. I mounted the bed to some 2X8 that I had with an angle brace between them to hold them square while I replace the wood. I’m going to redo all the wood over the winter so I can prime and paint next spring. I am surprised at how bad the wood has gotten. Several of the uprights are broken and all the bolts are loose as well as the number of screws that broke when I tried to take them out. I’m just lucky that it didn't just fallen apart when I picked it up and moved it to the garage. Once the wood is done, I’ll be able to paint it in the wood shop. I can then take it to the garage and assemble it. I’m planning on leaving the inside of the bed natural wood with clear instead of red. I think it will look better. I’ll just tape it off when I prime and paint the outside. I have a friend that I might have clear the inside wood since he has a paint booth. That way it will be done and I won’t have to worry about getting paint or primer on the bare wood. I would like to put 3-6 coats on the wood. I’m planning on making removable seats for parades when needed. 
well enjoy the pics and I’ll keep you all informed on progress. Mike

06A4850A-222A-43CC-9701-65CC2B9FEC86.jpeg

A5E01EF3-0B39-434C-86FB-B08B075DB07A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since I have some time off for the holiday, I have spent time making sawdust, about two trash bags full. I was able to make the four main supports and uprights and the front. Next is to make the top rails and get them fitted tomorrow. I’ll have to take the uprights off the fit the rails. Then I can put them back on for the last time with glue. I will paint all the wood that won’t be seen. The front, sides and bottom will get a lite stain and then clear. They also get a coat of paint on the non seen side. Mike

E365163B-C0A4-4ADC-B8A9-23162AFAF134.jpeg

AFF610A3-438C-45B4-9715-660C09002A91.jpeg

• Like 3

Over the last couple of evenings I was able to get the outsides back on with the top rail sitting on. The best part is that the bed is square in all directions. That just made my day. I’ve ordered some square head lags that should be in soon. Then I’ll need to take it all apart so I can finish glueing some joints and add some missing blocks that I haven’t add yet. I’ll also put a coat of paint on all the wood pieces. Till next time. Mike

A7BD56DB-BDC0-483E-BA09-EC0A10FF0F13.jpeg

2482D118-1456-4CE6-9AC1-35ECE3B13BF5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve been working on getting the sides painted and have one ready so far.

So while the paint is drying, I started working on the seat. It’s been reupholstered many times from the looks of it. So I’ll have to replace some more wood. Once I got the metal off, I was surprised what I found. Look like they used old packing crates for the seat. The only thing I don’t like is that it’s pine, but it’s 94 years old and is still good so I’m going to leave it. Mike

C94E2659-1582-4F24-A7EC-246628AF5DB9.jpeg

CD8EC496-6247-4668-A0D0-0CA33892645D.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a rough start to the year. It all started off when on the 30th, the wife started having COVID symptoms and I started showing signs on the the 2nd. Then my in laws on the 4th. The wife went back to work on the 11th for half a day and I went back on the 12th. On the 15th, my mother in law died from altimeters after 5 years. It was a blessing and just her time to go. Today we had the Celebration of Life for her. I think it’s time to get back to normal around here. 

I was able to get to the shop and do a little work on the seat finally. I was able to get all the bad wood swapped out and ready to add the metal. Next is put the metal back on and strip the paint, sand, and prime. 

969FF915-7106-4080-9248-C55A7EF72999.jpeg

F9E89A53-45DF-48D8-A499-45D8FCFE68D3.jpeg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Well it’s been quite a busy year so far which means little time to work on the fire truck. I have gotten the metal back on the seat and have it sealed with epoxy. It only took an extra 50 brad nails to get that done. I’m learning to hate brad nails when driving them into hardwood to hold body panels on. It’s going to take some filler to get it looking right. That will be a while till that happens. I did spend some time on the bed and have it somewhat back together. Originally the metal sides were held on with quarter inch rivets. I decided to weld quarter inch  by three bolts to the sides. Then drilled the upright with counter sinks for the nuts and washers. This will give it a smoother look when done. The lower side sections are all rusted out so I have made new ones that will get riveted back on once the bed is back on the frame. I did put the bed rails back on and stripped the paint off. So far, I haven’t found any gold leaf while stripping paint. Well I finally found some on the end of one bed rail. I was quite surprised to see it there. I just didn’t think it would be there. Next up will be stripping the fuel tank and bracket that mounts onto the bed top rail and the front of the bed. Then it’s onto the booster tank wrap. Well till next time,  enjoy. Mike

005BB7FB-8734-4E3D-936A-6EE6F85B4699.jpeg

CC416E00-42B1-4FDB-9327-05829BF788F4.jpeg

2147A1F6-D32E-4B43-BBBD-228E145CE9E3.jpeg

• Like 2

This week has been trying to find out where I added 3/8” to the bed length. It turned out that I didn’t drill the front support correctly. Just a little adjustment and all is good. 
I brought the booster tank wrap up from the barn and have it bolted to the front of the bed. I noticed that there are a lot of holes in the top angle that I think should have had rivets that never got installed. Also the right side has been cut. I measured up the booster tank and when the tank was made, they were about 3/4” too wide so the cut the top angle. I’m going to replace the cut piece and shorten the booster tank so all will be correct. 
I started removing more paint off the tank wrap. Most of us use sanders, blasting, or chemical strippers. The paint on this old truck is quite thick. I’ve measured some that are .030” thick and have counted as many as 6 layers of paint and primer. The pics show before, during, and after on one panel. All that is needed is to give the panels a little sanding and then seal coat. The tools cost $5 at HF and I sharpen them with a piece of 400 grit sandpaper. The panel in the pics only took about 15 minutes to remove the paint. Till next time, Mike 

0BCDEF83-4515-4438-BB43-989C9DBB2059.jpeg

78BBB416-3685-402F-B85F-D12EE6C474C6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a few weeks and I’ve been busy at work and life in general. I’ve gotten the tank wrap reworked and the missing rivets installed. The inside part that will not be seen is painted black. It’s now attached to the front of the bed. Originally the rear fenders were attached with 1/4 lag bolts and sheet metal screws. I’ve changed it up a little and used hanger bolts and machine screws with threaded rivets. When done, you won’t be able to tell the screws aren’t original. I then mounted the fenders. I have removed the paint and have been beating the dents out. As you can see in the pics, the ends of the fenders are gone. This is the better of the two. I found someone to make replacement panels and he did an awesome job.

40F54B37-A219-4FE3-9997-491A2795E962.jpeg

A631284E-EE5C-4D26-ACA2-840600FD8BFE.jpeg

9F9F3070-1D5A-40C3-B5F6-BE6F432350F2.jpeg

• Like 3

I took the day off of work as things have slowed down a bit. I spent the day making the side ends for the fenders. I really have an appreciation for the people that all the pieces that went into these fenders. I started by making a anvil to form the metal around that matched the curve of the fenders. Then it was time to bend the pieces. It took 8 different steps to make them. The bends are filled with an 1/8 rod and then hammered closed. I have to install the sides first before a can attach the patch panels as they wrap around the side when done. I’m planning on installing the side ends tomorrow and then the patch panels. Mike

1610C24D-6077-4C80-AE33-D7E87499CB53.jpeg

09365703-9DEF-489F-9643-C399198236FC.jpeg

224A0532-D681-428B-BFB0-A10A350F4CFD.jpeg

• Like 3

Very nice work Mike. Your statement about having to make an anvil to make the bends you needed brought back memories of when I did my Olds running boards. I had to make a couple anvils, then clamp then tightly to the metal then hammered the metal around the anvil edge to get the proper curvature. Like you,it worked out well.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I filially was able to get the brakes that were dropped of early last year. I just need t some new springs and put them on.
 Well the weather finally got warmer and the overhead door is repaired so I was able to get the bed back on the frame today. Just one step closer. It’s starting to look like a truck again. 
I had dropped off some pieces to have rechromed at the swap meet in Kentucky about a month ago. They called on Monday and said they were on their way. So Thursday it was Christmas. They look really good. I just need to get the bed rails done now. I’ve talked to a company that has a tank big enough. The other company that did the other chrome doesn’t have a tank big enough. 
well enjoy the warmer weather and a ice cold one. Mike

C3F838A2-E085-4576-AEA9-F9B57913BC42.jpeg

30A349C4-6BB0-42ED-89F7-B2512CB23BF0.jpeg

• Like 3

I pulled the water pump back off to make it easier to add the sheet metal that goes between the running boards and the frame. I also had to install the front fender. It took most of my the day but the driver side I’d all done. Just need to clean and prime them. I’m planning to do the passenger side tomorrow. 
I also made a new alternator mounting bracket. I decided to do this before I added the passenger side fender to make it easier. I just need to measure for the belts. I’ll pull the bracket tomorrow and paint it. I’ll post a picture of it tomorrow. 
enjoy a cold one. Mike

DDE39812-7400-45A9-8FBD-3B73912B2941.jpeg

• Like 3

As promised, here is the alternator bracket I made. It’s made from 1/4x 1 1/2 angle. I have it painted and will be installing it tomorrow. I’m going to paint the case of the alternator before installing. 
The passenger side went a whole lot quicker then the driver side. I have the two pieces for each side riveted together and I’m planning on painting back side this week. 
I started adding the uprights that go on the corners of the bed. The driver side has the ladder and a hose cradle. The uprights are 1/2” thick bar stock. All the holes are 1/2” X 15 holes. That’s a lot of drilling by hand. Sure wish I had a drill press, it’s on my wish list. 
It’s time to relax with a cold beer and get ready for tomorrow. Till next time, Cheers mike

5C070130-F774-4EE2-A664-116B4BEF15CF.jpeg

B6031588-BD1A-49EE-B3D7-643C86503553.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t ya just hate doing a job twice?  Well I cut the hole for the speedometer late last year and had the cowl all ready in final primer and just ready for final sanding. I had the trim rings rechromed and assembled the speedometer. I decided to mount the gauges and speedo just to see how they look. They looked great except for the speedo was tilted. When I cut the hole, I assumed the trip reset was straight to the right. Everyone knows what assumed means and was I wrong. I cut some more so it was straight and welded a patch in. Ground down the weld and added a little filler. I primed it tonight so I will be able to block it tomorrow. I have finished sanding the front fenders, cowl minus the dash area, and some other pieces. I’m hoping to add some color next week. Till next time. Mike

EA0A0B53-A8A6-472C-AAC6-1B7994D19E09.jpeg

• Like 4

With many things, we assume the bigger item was made and smaller parts were made to fit in. Most things built are done on right angles with even measurements to make things easy. Then, what we don’t expect is sometimes on those smaller pieces, the rules of geometry seem to be thrown out the window. Often the bigger item appears to be made to fit the smaller one which doesn’t seem to make sense. Look at the A-10 Warthog ground attack aircraft. They had the 30mm rotary cannon gun first and built the aircraft around the gun. The gun is so big and takes up so much nose space that the nose wheel is offset to the side quite a bit, far from the center of the fuselage. So I guess in some instances, and possibly your truck dash, the egg did come before the chicken!😁

13 hours ago, chistech said:

With many things, we assume the bigger item was made and smaller parts were made to fit in. Most things built are done on right angles with even measurements to make things easy. Then, what we don’t expect is sometimes on those smaller pieces, the rules of geometry seem to be thrown out the window. Often the bigger item appears to be made to fit the smaller one which doesn’t seem to make sense. Look at the A-10 Warthog ground attack aircraft. They had the 30mm rotary cannon gun first and built the aircraft around the gun. The gun is so big and takes up so much nose space that the nose wheel is offset to the side quite a bit, far from the center of the fuselage. So I guess in some instances, and possibly your truck dash, the egg did come before the chicken!😁

I’ll agree. Mike

• Like 2

Today was a great day !!!!!  I’m on vacation, so I went and talked to an upholsterer and scheduled the seat in for mid June. Should only take a day to do. While in town, I picked up some needed supplies at a big box store and the paint, clear coat, and a new spray gun. Paint sure has gone way up since I bought the last time, $400 for a gallon of red. Over the weekend, I cleaned up a corner of the barn and hung some plastic to make a paint booth area. It’s small, but I’m only doing pieces and not the complete truck. This afternoon I painted and cleared the seat and side skirts that go between the frame and running boards. Three coats of each. The side skirts came out great, but I have a run in the seat. I’ll just have to sand it down and buff it before it goes to get upholstered. All in all a great day. I have the cowl, radiator sides and fenders already in the booth. They just need wiped down and tacked. So I’ll be doing some more tomorrow. Till tomorrow, mike

7EE1D919-775E-46D9-9DF4-5EEC1864FC40.jpeg

1AFB4027-9CED-4855-9302-3EE31E6A2174.jpeg

• Like 5