69 eldo barn find

wbj

I have found a 1969 Eldorado in a garage that was purchased with the house it has been there since probably 1980 looks like the last registration was 1981 it's not Rusty it's not beat up too bad there is no title it has been abandoned since the 80s wondering if somebody could fill me in on what it might be worth and if I can ever get it legal

• Like 1

wbj

Titles are more important now than ever before.  Each state has its own rules.

Let us know what state.  In the mean time search "Title" on this Forum Search

box.  It's a common problem, worth a little research for your benefit.

The first thing is to get the title in your name. You have to start with the Rules. Your local Vehicle License department. Then the Local Shariff or Police Department, State Patrol will not help. Find out the Rules for your self. Do not depend on " well I was told".  Once you have got that on the way. Now go to a good book store and get a copy of the Old Car Pricing Guide. Read the how to use the book part real good, maybe two times will do it is only two pages. Price your car. You will know how much you can logically sell it for or how much money you can dump into it to get it running. Here in Washington this is a 3 year 6 month wait time and at least one trip to the inspection station to verify numbers. If you sell without a title you will take big hit on what the car is worth. If you repair with out a title the real owner can take the car away from you and you will not get any of your spent money back. Get the title in your name first.

Frank

thank you for replying the vehicle is in Detroit

Go to Michigan dmv, tell them you need a title for an old untitled vehicle, they will give you four forms, application for michigan title,ownership certification,vehicle number equipment inspection,vehicle uniform surety bond.
Complete vehicle number equipment inspection form, call police request vehicle vin inspection, police come, inspect, complete police section.
Visit you insurance agent, request surety bond for old untitle vehicle.
Complete other forms, return to dmv, give them your wallet, two weeks later title appears.

A 69 Eldorado in #4 condition is $5800

Mr. WBJ, don't feel you need to buy a

1969 Eldorado just because one is available.

At any given time, many, many cars are available.

You will undoubtedly put much more money into

a needy, non-running car than it will be worth.

Buying a car in better condition will save you money

in the long run.  I don't know your budget, but some 

nice antique cars can be had for well under $10,000.

If this is your first antique, take your time and look around.

Get the price guide they recommend.  You'll find that your

search can be fun.  And when you buy a suitable car,

you'll be part of a very enjoyable hobby! 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

13 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. WBJ, don't feel you need to buy a

1969 Eldorado just because one is available.

At any given time, many, many cars are available.

You will undoubtedly put much more money into

a needy, non-running car than it will be worth.

Buying a car in better condition will save you money

in the long run.  I don't know your budget, but some 

nice antique cars can be had for well under $10,000.

If this is your first antique, take your time and look around.

Get the price guide they recommend.  You'll find that your

search can be fun.  And when you buy a suitable car,

you'll be part of a very enjoyable hobby! 

In this case, it sound like it's not only available but also in his garage. Many states are starting to require title even for a scrap yard. If I were in this situtation I'd probably search for abandoned vehicle laws. My other concern would be on branding. There are different ways to get a title, but if you end up with a branded title, it may not be the best way to go. It matters less with old cars than late model, but it will forever impact the value of the vehicle. I do agree that just because one ended up in your garage doesn't mean it has to be  your end all be all, but a 11 year old car with just about 40 more years of dirt on it would likely be a better place to start than many of us did. If you like the car, it's a pretty easy one to get mechanical bits for and may be nice enough to not be embarrassed driving around with little cosmetic effort. There certainly is a way to get it and get it legal... the next thing you'll want to figure out is why someone left the car there to begin with (as in, what broke).