1946 Super Disc Brake Conversion

superwiz46

Hello,

I am undergoing the above conversion, using Wilwood kit 140-12321.  My mechanic has found that the Outer Cone Bearing (#9 in the diagram) is "in" 1/8" too far on the spindle, so he can't tighten it down.  Wilwood hasn't been able to come up with any relevant help yet, other than suggesting my spindles may not be original.  In the picture below, the cast part number looks to be 317616.  I have two questions:

1.  Has anyone had this issue, and what was  your solution?

2.  Does 317616 sound like an OEM number for a Model 51?  I have the shop manual, but I don't have that part number listed.

I've owned this car for almost 30 years, and my grandfather for 20, so I'm really interested to see if I can resolve this.  This is my first posting, thanks in advance for any help!

Mike M, BCA 23348

IMG_0203.JPG

partskit.JPG

Swap the supplied bearings to be sure that is not the issue.  Otherwise, I think it was probably adequately machined for the original bearings and they did not consider later mods.  Have yours machined or replace:  My interchange lists 1941-1953 interchange.

This has been my experience with "kits" like this. Their close but you need to re engineer it yourself at home to make it work. Nothing is "bolt on" in this hobby. And once you get the parts to "bolt on" you will still have to engineer the master cylinder situation which they will tell you is a "bolt on" but is probly not. Getting the parts on there is only the first step of a long job. 

I think it is doubtful that the spindles have been changed. Changed to what? I bet there is no other spindles that  will "bolt on" and still work with 46' Buick Super brake parts and steering and suspension. Wilwood wont help because they dont know how to solve this problem. The bearing they gave you worked that one time on that one car that they think is similar enough to your 46' that their "bolt on" kit might kind of sorta work. But if they used a prewar car for prototyping you might be out of luck unless you switch to whatever spindles they used to make they're kit. Did they make they're kit knowing that there are big series cars and small series cars and they might have different spindles? Or maybe the design changed after the war?

I hope its easy but I bet your going to have to find whatever spindles Wilwood used to make they're kit and swap those which is a hassle job. Or some kind of spacer to keep the bearing from sliding all the way down the spindle? 

Is it too late to return the kit and put the drums back on? At least you know those work.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, superwiz46 said:

My mechanic has found that the Outer Cone Bearing (#9 in the diagram) is "in" 1/8" too far on the spindle, so he can't tighten it down.

I cannot answer your two questions but isn't the placement of the bearing on the spindle dictated by the machined race in the rotor hub? 

• Like 4

Thank you to everyone that has replied thus far.  I spoke to my mechanic today, he is looking to add a spacer to keep the bearing from moving down the spindle that extra 1/8".  We wanted to give Wilwood a chance to see if they could help with another idea, but evidently not.  As was pointed out, there has to be some kind of variance in my spindle from what Wilwood tested on, it's exactly the same 1/8" off on both sides.  I will post when we get it set, I thought figuring out the master cylinder was going to be the difficult part as well.  We shall see, I really appreciate the insights here.

Mike M

Is the current spacer #8 locating the rotor properly?

For instance, if you put the caliper bracket on, and put the rotor and inner bearing and #8 spacer on, and put the caliper on, and use something to center the outer race (like maybe the washer, held in with your fingers...), is the rotor centered in the slot in the caliper? Or is it off by the same 1/8"?

• Like 1