1929 Essex Super Sedan 4 suicide doors

Simnut

A learned scholar on this site (you all are compared to me ;) ) told me last week that it would be smart to have two projects going so you can work on one while you wait for parts for the other.  Well, I'm going to take a look at a 1929 Essex as mentioned in the title. Again, this car is in my home town .....could almost drive my new 1923 Buick to go see it! lol.  This car is a complete car with only the rad missing as told by the gent selling it.  Here's the kicker, I know the gent quite well!  Never knew he had this car sitting there , a car he bought to hot rod. 

I can get it for $2000 Cdn.  Not sure if this is a good deal but will know better on Sunday.   I will post pictures Sunday evening as to get some better advice from y'all.  Am willing to listen to any advice at this point but will be much more fair if you can see the pics.  I believe it's a much more "common" car than the 23-6-41 I have now, so may be a candidate for a resto-mod which would be a nice added project.

Any cure for this antique car bug I seemed to have gotten a couple weeks ago?

Go for it! You can never have too many cars. I have several unrestored cars-in-waiting and so does everyone else on this forum.

It's a good thing. You don't have to worry about buying/restoring your next car - unless you see another one.

Face it, you can have $2,000 Cdn rotting in your bank account or you can have a '29 Essex in your garage (or thereabouts).

But don't resto-mod it. Keep it as stock as possible. You'll feel a lot better afterwards.

Good luck.

1913 Franklin raceabout project in the back shed

1908 REO Model G project in a trailer

• Like 3

Essex was Hudson's lower priced companion car. They became very popular in the early twenties as they were the first car to offer a sedan for the same price as a touring car, the Essex coach. In those days closed cars cost hundreds more than an open car.

The 1929 was a six cylinder car, a cut above the Chevrolet and Model A for a few dollars more. They were third in sales behind Chev and Ford that year.

Though a smaller lighter car than the Buick you may find them quite similar in performance. I don't think you need to "resto mod" anything.

• Like 1

Hey it can be done and I say go for it too! I'm restoring both my Durant and my 1971 Triumph TR6 at the same time. Durant is in the garage, the Triumph is currently at the body shop getting new sheet metal.  I do just that, I work on the Durant, then switch over to the Triumph part. Durant parts on one side of the garage, Triumph on the other and never the twain shall meet as they say.

• Thanks 1

About 14 years ago I purchased a 31 Essex 2 door sedan for $2400. It had no rot and was in decent shape. I purchased it in order to have a project that would keep me busy in retirement,

This is how it looks now.

(disclaimer, It is not exactly the way Hudson made it.)

DSCN0617.JPG

DSCN0613.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

About 14 years ago I purchased a 31 Essex 2 door sedan for $2400. It had no rot and was in decent shape. I purchased it in order to have a project that would keep me busy in retirement,

This is how it looks now.

(disclaimer, It is not exactly the way Hudson made it.)

DSCN0617.JPG

DSCN0613.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

Very nice!!!!

4 hours ago, Mike36 said:

If that’s a 2 dr. sedan, you did a lot of work. Wow, looks like you could pay football in the back seat! Nice car.

It has a set of jump seats in the back. It is 14" longer than a standard 4 door.

It would be called a 7 passenger if you had a jr high football team.

(but not adults with the girth of my friends)

?

DSCN0132.JPG

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)