WTB: 1947-1949 Buick convertible

bigbry13

Hi all,

I have posted here in the past looking for a late 40s convertible without any luck, but figured I'd try my luck again. I have really become quite obsessed with finding a late 40s Buick convertible that I can just drive and enjoy now, even if it has wear and tear. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Buick-Roadmaster-/153143434244?oid=362402394639 

I missed out on the above car which I am bummed about, but I see postings once in a while that remind me that these survivor type rag tops are still out there, and that Maybe my search isn't hopeless. I cannot afford a fully restored vehicle, nor do. want one. I am looking for a solid car with patina and character that I can drive and enjoy now, and maybe restore down the Road sometime. maybe one of you has a car that fits the bill or has a lead on one, but I figured I'd reignite my search. thanks all!

Bryan

Couple of weeks ago , Nice roadmaster in California for 39k 

and a super in Delaware for 25 k , both seem good value as dealers asking much more.

unlikely to find  a reasonable driver for less , I wonder how much the one you missed fetched , but  can’t compare as it looked a major restoration project and would need thousands spending even to reach standard of the two above , so as you state you would like a driver that you can restore it would help members to know budget restraints ,to enable recommendations 

John Walker has a nice '48 Super for you, Bryan. It is in the back of his workshop, so I don't have the best of pics. I will post what I have along with his phone number. That would be area code 206 in Seattle. You won't be needing much in the way of parts for this one. Oh, and he would like to keep the '49 next to it.      Wishing you love at first sight,   -  Cadillac Carl 

B9C663F5-31BE-466E-A98E-3744A6DCE8E6.jpeg

7EB9E41F-06E6-49E9-BBA2-2FF126CA3FF7.jpeg

86FEA924-9074-4B48-BC1C-C9D836707757.jpeg

13019FD0-FD17-4645-9243-BE1E56F9A26A.jpeg

62B2C96D-1130-4642-ADC2-03247F8867EA.jpeg

E694D625-3F32-4981-9F14-2126B011E452.jpeg

817C33F0-66EF-49D5-A7CA-20DF2388E995.jpeg

Hi Pilgrim65 and all. I am in P.M. with Bryan, and intend to put him in contact with John tomorrow. I am not an agent for him, or anyone else. I am just like a matchmaker who is very happy to see people hook up with the cars of their desire. Having no financial position whatsoever, I will simply say that John Walker is a very fine person. He is extremely well grounded in reality, and does not have a greedy bone in his body. I am hoping that Bryan is able to get this mostly original car. If not, John will post an ad here. Let me show you more of John's work in progress. By the way, that custom 1940 Cadillac Coupe started life as a 60S. John would like to find non sidemount fenders for it. Maybe someone even wants to trade.   -   CC 

6A8F7238-EE0D-4555-8A6C-55C93726A7D1.jpeg

2D39A55C-CAD0-444D-914C-F191CD294EE3.jpeg

C409B948-1572-45AF-BD81-7EEC17946C92.jpeg

55106A72-632D-46BB-A4B6-0BC867FA1B9B.jpeg

Hi Cc

yea hopefully a deal can be done between them ,  I’ve also been interested to see  what you can buy for reasonable money to, as fell in love with Windsofchange’s 1947 he restored and have been looking at ads since  , but not having the skills to restore myself have looked at up together cars and consequently haven’t seen anything with a reasonable price , dealers asking 50/60 k even more for fully restored examples., to rich for me.

the 25k Delaware car is sold , not surprised.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

Hi Scott ! Welcome to AACA forums ! You know we are all eager to get to know you and your cars. Very much looking forward to seeing you get this incredibly solid, all there '47 out of the barn and back on the road. I am in the group of old guys who must start reducing our fleets. My thrills these days are cheap ones  enjoying the cars you guys kindly share here. 

I am sorry that you can't quite swing it at this time, Bryan. John has cleared me to say he is asking $32k for it. As I said earlier, I am not a party to this transaction in any way. I did ask whether this would be a good candidate for a fly in/drive home to anywhere in the USA, Canada, or Mexico. "I don't see why not, as long as you keep the speed down." John explained what you Buick guys know : that these manual transmission cars are geared lower than the mushbox cars. It really is an impressive car, the pics are inadequate. Really completely rust free. To me, this old Bu' is at exactly that sweet spot where 20-25% more money gets you a car with something like twice the value. This being in terms of time and money spent to bring a lesser, more tired car up to, say 75-85% the condition of that sweet spot car. "Sweetie" displays a little patina, well kept and growing old gracefully. Lesser car has damage needing attention, rather than the "too nice to restore" of the former. This being said, I am not up on prices of these specific cars. John's has a new well done interior and top. The naturally air conditioned Pacific Northwest has the most comfortable weather in the country right now. Come ON !

You all have John's number in area code 206, give him a call !       -   CC 

1FBD07F8-8F52-445B-A3D9-581E718218B6.jpeg

Good on you CC you did your best ,  and respect you for your well intentioned endeavours. Unfortunately  over Bryan’s budget , thought that may happen as convertibles of that era have risen in value considerably recently and not  surprised by asking price. Furthermore it’s very  difficult  to bring two parties together on a deal without some guidelines from both parties. That’s why I posted above requesting more information.as the WTB description of a ‘driver condition car able to improve later ‘ when looking at those late 40s convertibles, they  command  good money as shown.

• Like 2