Wooden roof rebuild

Mattml430

I made a start today on rebuilding my new roof. The old one is rotten and not worth repairing. I’m building it out of 20mm ply and laminating it. It’s also a good way to get the shape into it and it will hold there. I have also interlocked the corners so it will be very strong.

I will be folding up some stainless steel cross rails instead of timber and covering them,  as I like the way the roof is done in my victory.

I’ll spend the day shaping it all tomorrow and rebating the rails in. 

Does anyone know where I can get some roof vinyl 1800mm wide?Everyone only seems to have 1370mm wide. I really don’t want a join in it. I think if I had to I would do 2 full length joins in from each edge. 

D951CB7E-ABB8-4125-8A20-25732A9A7610.jpeg

390DE708-2628-42E9-A76C-041EC7B8DEC8.jpeg

5E4ADE3D-3962-4629-A5A1-7298FDF102A7.jpeg

6 hours ago, Taylormade said:

Looks great.  Are you going to seal the final product so moisture doesn’t delaminate the plywood?

Thanks,Yes definitely I’ll be epoxying it once it’s finished. That way it will be almost water proof. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Zetnick said:

Not sure what it costs to ship to OZ, but I got my top material from http://www.lebaronbonney.com/#   I'm sure there are other places too....maybe Mac's or Snyder's that supply to Model A restorers.

Thanks Bob I’ll send them an email and see what they have, and see if they can ship to OZ. 

Got all the shaping done today and my new rails in. Didn’t move when I unscrewed it, which was great. 

Just trying now to make some stainless steel gutters for the side. Getting compound angles to bend is tricky. 

D4F2317B-2C0E-4D3D-9B6C-BE04CF25162E.jpeg

7C91BC42-FD81-4EEA-B02A-876F7E2060D8.jpeg

Looking great Matt.

Just called in to see an old Motor Trimmer (he gets most upset if you call him an upholsterer!). Does fantastic work, currently working on a mid 30s Rolls-Royce in leather. Anyway, posed your question. He believes that you won't get top material in Australia wide enough, BUT suggested Tonneau Cover material, which he checked and comes in 2 Metre widths. He had some on hand and it looked OK to me, although it is fairly fine grained. He thinks there are about three different types.

It should be available from:

Daley's
Unit 1, 6 Leo Street
FAWKNER  VIC  3060
Tel:  03 9355 4800
Fax:  03 9355 4850
Email:  sales_vic@daleys.com.au

They are a national company, headquartered in Sydney, with branches in all states, but you should be able to have a look at the product at that address.

If all else fails, I can probably get a sample to you and/or order it through this local trimmer.

Edited by Bullfrog_eng
error (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullfrog_eng said:

Looking great Matt.

Just called in to see an old Motor Trimmer (he gets most upset if you call him an upholsterer!). Does fantastic work, currently working on a mid 30s Rolls-Royce in leather. Anyway, posed your question. He believes that you won't get top material in Australia wide enough, BUT suggested Tonneau Cover material, which he checked and comes in 2 Metre widths. He had some on hand and it looked OK to me, although it is fairly fine grained. He thinks there are about three different types.

It should be available from:

Daley's
Unit 1, 6 Leo Street
FAWKNER  VIC  3060
Tel:  03 9355 4800
Fax:  03 9355 4850
Email:  sales_vic@daleys.com.au

They are a national company, headquartered in Sydney, with branches in all states, but you should be able to have a look at the product at that address.

If all else fails, I can probably get a sample to you and/or order it through this local trimmer.

Great thanks John for doing that. It’s starting to look that way here isn’t it. I’ve made a couple of calls and had similar answer. I was thinking of maybe a double sown  seem about 50mm in from the front corners and run it straight to the back. How do you think that would look? I know what your saying about the fine grain, the top I have is really coarse and I do like it. I’ll definitely have a look at the tonneau cover though it might end up being the best way around it. 

Cheers. 

I managed to get my stainless gutter to bend around ok. Just need to polish it now. 

7207622B-E6C8-4063-9664-8F85768463E3.jpeg

0C06992E-5DF2-4CA6-AE58-4D9E80F36994.jpeg

• Like 1

Personally, I think the coarse grain looks better, but the reality is that you really do not see that much of it anyway, so I doubt it would be really noticeable to most people. Horrie (the Trimmer) commented that years ago, the tonneau material was only available in narrower widths, and had to be joined for some utes (pickups) and it always leaked.

But really, whatever you are happy with is all that matters.

Are the stainless roof bows going to be visible?  On my 32 they are wood and used to give support for the headliner, which is stapled to the bows.  My bows are hidden by the headliner.  I have seen some DBs with visible bows, but they have been finished wood or cloth covered.  Just curious where you’re going with this.

Yes they will be covered in material. I used stainless only for its tensile strength. My victory is done this way and I liked it so thought I’d keep it the same. This is the only pic i have of the victory liner so you know what I mean. 

4A9A5767-24A9-4C32-86A5-58D2F3D1E6DC.jpeg