Should the 56 start in drive and reverse?

56 Buick

Hi all

So the car will start in drive and reverse and I assume this should not be the case?

Anyone have any idea what is likely culprit and how to fix this?

I not the car has had an ignition kill switch fitted.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Drew

The combination neutral safety switch /  backup lite switch should be on top of the steering column between the dash and firewall; not much goes wrong with those switches and starting in all gears is impossible (switch failure is a non-contact condition)

The wiring diagram in the service manual will be a big help to show how it is "supposed to go".  When someone "messes with" the starter wiring they usually jump 12v+ to the solenoid by way of a push button (that bypasses the safety switch).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

The combination neutral safety switch /  backup lite switch should be on top of the steering column between the dash and firewall; not much goes wrong with those switches and starting in all gears is impossible (switch failure is a non-contact condition)

The wiring diagram in the service manual will be a big help to show how it is "supposed to go".  When someone "messes with" the starter wiring they usually jump 12v+ to the solenoid by way of a push button (that bypasses the safety switch).

My reverse lights work so it is likely the switch is working and just been bypassed, noting the ignition kill switch that has been put in also bypasses the need to use the accelerator pedal.

Now I am not that technical with electrical but I should be able to correct this issue by either rerouting the 12V+ line to the neutral/park switch before it goes to the kill switch OR rerouting the line from the kill switch to the solenoid to include the neutral/park switch.

After some review I see the starter relay has been removed (no longer there).

The pink wire from the accelerator switch is not connected to anything. The light green wire coming from the generator terminal of the generator regulator is not connected. And the kill switch is connected to directly to the ignition key switch and the solenoid the cranking motor. 

I am going to have to get another relay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1