Brian DePouli's '38 - 80C in Hemmings Classic Car

Gary W

Brian;

Great job in the Hemmings Classic Car regarding the restoration of your BEAUTIFUL 1938 Roadmaster 80-C Sport Phaeton!!

Very nice story and photos.

Love seeing colleagues bringing these beautiful Buicks back to life!

Looking forward to part 2

Gary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gary,

Terry, the author and photographer from HCC, did a great job on part 1 and I too am looking forward to seeing the second part of this article. I'm glad to being getting the press for myself of course, but the BCA as well. My father received his copy Saturday just in time for father's day which I thought apropos. I supplied Terry with access to all my pictures which were date coded and it was interesting to me to read about how quickly (or slowly) I did certain parts of the restoration. I didn't realize some of the durations until Terry noted it in the article. Something you don't really think about when you are in the heat of the restoration.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...

Much sportier than my sedan! However, they are all fun to drive.  Just came back from a short trip on Interstate 205 at 55 to 60 mph. Still had plenty of power.  All the windows open.  Ninety degrees!  I can smell the odor of the warm oil wafting through from the side door from the garage to the patio. Nice!

IMG_20180722_164101547_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My engine has some minor seeps from the pushrod covers and the transmission.  It is not clean, by any measure.  Just the smell of an old car.  Had it out today for our BCA Portland Area Chapter picnic.   A very nice gathering of 30 Buicks in a park with big shade trees and 85 degrees.

Sometimes that leak is actually from the sparkplug chamber. The pushrod side bolts on the rocker stanchions are tapped thru to the sparkplug chamber. Oil can leak past the threads and wind up on the plutgs, burning there and causing a strong smell.

You can pull those bolts one at a time, clean the bolt hole threads and bolt thoroughly and apply a sealant to the threads. that will keep the oil from seeping into the plug area.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:12 PM, Model56s said:

Brian,

The red leather is amazing. Was that an original interior color?

Geoff Lockett

BCA Gateway Buick Chapter

yes that was one of 6 leather colors available for 38 Roadamsters Conv.'s

Black

Blue

Green

Tan

Red

and I am forgetting the 6th off my head.

It is not the original color per the firewall tag but the Botticelli Blue was, green leather with that didn't appeal to me and there were already 38-80Cs done with the Blue/tan and Blue/blue combo's.

I totally appreciate the choice. Several years ago Hemmings Classic Car did a story on a black '49-'50 Pontiac with red leather upholstry. The distressed look of the natural creases in the well-used front seat was very appealing.