May be a daft question - but only if you know the answer..

moran75

I have a '66, not a '65. But my guess is that if your car has an automatic air conditioner, that could be the "liquid vacuum motor" that regulates the ac/heating temperature in a slow, gradual manner. Some of the 1st-generation experts will weigh in shortly.

It is my understanding that the top diaphragm in your picture controls the heater air door(not the temp door)

The other one which is buried at the bottom of the box controls the fresh air/recirculation doorfor the A/C.I've also been told

that the chassis manual actually mislabeled these two motors, reversing the descriptions of their function by mistake. Any

experts out there please correct me if I'm wrong. (My low mileage unrestored car still has everything working so I haven't had to

dig into the A/C box yet. Still have my 53 year old heater core as well)

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

The vacuum diaphram pictured controls air flow across either the heater core or the evaporator core when switching between heat and AC. When this diaphram is bad you will not get air flow across the evaporator or out of the AC registers in the dash.

The `64 manual supposedly has the heat/AC and Recirc vacuum diaphrams reversed.

Tom

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, moran75 said:

Hi all

I've attached a pic of something in the engine bay of my 1965 Riv....can you tell me what it is/what it does?!

I would look it up in the manual but where would i start?.....

Cheers

Kev

IMG_6840.JPG

. . . vacuum line(s) schematic ?