Hydramatic repair

Bhigdog

I was (sort of) helping a guy in the "Technical" Forum with a 1952 Cadillac with Dual Range H/M and there is an old mechanic in there advising who seems experienced, if this is from your 1955 Olds you might take a look at the thread

Hi, Bob.

Living in the Reading area I have a few sources to contact tomorrow to see if they may know anything.  I will get back to you.

Peter J.

You and Bob have the 1946-55 transmission that he likes, I figured Bob can look in on your post and see if there is anything in there.  I am the black sheep with the 1957 junk according to him, Todd C  

PS--how is it going with yours?

All he told me was that I have to rebuild it. Standard answer when people don’t know what the solution to the problem is. I took the control valve body back off and soaked it in a degreaser then put it back together. The pistons seem to move much easier. I haven’t gotten it back into the car yet. I’ve hit that point where I’m running out of solutions so I’m delaying trying another for fear that it won’t work. But I feel confident that this will help. I’ll get it back in within the next day or two. 

9 hours ago, Medd448 said:

All he told me was that I have to rebuild it. Standard answer when people don’t know what the solution to the problem is.

That is exactly right, they will always say rebuild (or replace). 

And that can be true of course but in my experience there have too often been times when the answer was in there with a little diagnosis first, good luck, Todd C

Well you are now 25% better than before.  The manual says this problem could be sticking valves which you already worked on, or the next most likely is a leak in the front servo or a plugged oil passage.  Good luck, Todd C