Brake Reaction Rod..source?

neatname

Hey all, 

I am trying to track down a source for 1964 Riviera brake reaction rods. The ones on my car are bent and the threads are shot. Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Does anyone know if these would work?

http://www.globalwest.net/impala-caprice-adjustable-strut-rod-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-global-west.html#

Zach

Edited by neatname (see edit history)

No idea if those will cross over to the Riv chassis but GlobalWest makes some top notch stuff and have been building high end suspension parts before most of the other performance suspension companies were a thought .... worse case , buy a set and see what it takes to make them work ...

thats sort of the essence of messing with old cars !!!?

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 4:11 PM, neatname said:

Hey all, 

I am trying to track down a source for 1964 Riviera brake reaction rods. The ones on my car are bent and the threads are shot. Any info is greatly appreciated. 

http://www.globalwest.net/impala-caprice-adjustable-strut-rod-1965-1966-1967-1968-1969-1970-global-west.html#

Zach

For parts like this, contact Larry Daisey in AZ or perhaps the CTC Auto Ranch in TX.   Google the names for contact information and add the word 'Buick's to your search.

• Like 1

OP’s profile shows he’s in Spokane Wa. So I only suggested the closest contact to him that I know which is Russ. That’s how I’d roll. 

There are tons of resources for new/used parts now. I’m sure there might be someone closer to Spokane than Russ. 

This is forum is a good place to start Zach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RockinRiviDad said:

OP’s profile shows he’s in Spokane Wa. So I only suggested the closest contact to him that I know which is Russ. That’s how I’d roll. 

There are tons of resources for new/used parts now. I’m sure there might be someone closer to Spokane than Russ. 

This is forum is a good place to start Zach

If you look at Russ's website, you'll see that most all of the parts he has are engine parts.  The driveline parts he has are new or reproduction items.

Larry Daisey's business is mostly parting out Rivieras. 

Both excellent resources, but each has his own specialty.

• Like 1

I’ve had my car since I was a kid. Since then I’ve always looked for an alternative to adding positraction to my existing third member. NO ONE makes “new or reproduction parts” for our third member posi’s. I’m no mechanic by any means. But I think we can all agree that our third member posi’s are part of our driveline right? Well I finally ponied up & bought a posi. Guess from who? Yup...good ole Russ Martin 

Call me old school...even tho I’m not very old...but I am a “pick up the phone, say hello & ask” kind of guy. 

Websites are nice. But most guys in our hobby have hands in all sorts of things. Or can least point u in the right direction. So you never know who has what until we ask. 

Internet is awesome. But let’s get back to using the phone more often. No more judging books by the cover...or by the website in this case :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I’ve had my car since I was a kid. Since then I’ve always looked for an alternative to adding positraction to my existing third member. NO ONE makes “new or reproduction parts” for our third member posi’s. I’m no mechanic by any means. But I think we can all agree that our third member posi’s are part of our driveline right? Well I finally ponied up & bought a posi. Guess from who? Yup...good ole Russ Martin 

Call me old school...even tho I’m not very old...but I am a “pick up the phone, say hello & ask” kind of guy. 

Websites are nice. But most guys in our hobby have hands in all sorts of things. Or can least point u in the right direction. So you never know who has what until we ask. 

Internet is awesome. But let’s get back to using the phone more often. No more judging books by the cover...or by the website in this case :D

You're one of the lucky ones.  As his website states 'Posi's,  I get them from time to time, call'

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 12:16 AM, RockinRiviDad said:

Sir, a parts book exists that cross reference part numbers Buick with other GM parts for compatibility. I have the parts book, but I’m away from home now. The cross reference has been aacurate. I needed a vacuum switch for my 63 Riv. The seller of the switch said his switch was compatible with my car. I cross referenced the part numbers in my book and it worked.

Red Riviera Bob

On 4/12/2018 at 6:33 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Sir, a parts book exists that cross reference part numbers Buick with other GM parts for compatibility. I have the parts book, but I’m away from home now. The cross reference has been aacurate. I needed a vacuum switch for my 63 Riv. The seller of the switch said his switch was compatible with my car. I cross referenced the part numbers in my book and it worked.

Red Riviera Bob

There is no cross reference for a complete posi unit from another manufacturer, only some parts like maybe the clutch pack. The 9 and 3/8ths rear gear was a Buick only component.

Tom

On 4/1/2018 at 5:11 PM, neatname said:

Hey all, 

Zach

Zach, I’m the first to tell you I don’t know what a brake reaction rod is. I’m only trying to help. My cross reference book for brakes does not show anything for brake reaction rods. The pic of the index attached just shows for BRAKES: DRUM, MASTER CYLINDER, POWER BRAKE, SHOE, AND WHEEL CYLINDER. The book is entitled “ Chevrolet-Olds-Buick-Pontiac-Cadillac 1950-1965 Parts Interchange Mechanical and Body. Best of luck in your search.

RRB

6DB3906B-8F78-47E9-99F1-71DE75DC2D13.jpeg

• Like 1

The  brake reaction rod is a link that bolts solidly to the A-arm and goes through a hole on the front to the frame with a bushing between the frame and the rod.  It's purpose, I believe, is to keep the A-arm from distorting during braking.  It's part of the chassis not the brakes.

Here are a couple of pictures.  The first is where the one end is bushed in the frame; the second gives you an idea where it is on the car and where it bolts to the A-frame20180418_171241.thumb.jpg.e540a27e3b42fc6e332fddc9e95b0363.jpg

20180418_171314.thumb.jpg.d2e9507d4a80e7ae57db3e3bdfc4a8d4.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...