Center link for a '63

JanZverina

Hello ROA members,

I'm (finally) tackling the front end on my '63 Riv and am in need of a center link. Being a good member I searched the forum and see that they are available as rebuilds/refurbished only. Can anyone recommend a good source? I see Rare Parts Inc. does this as well as Summit. Any recommendations? Does anyone have a known good one to part with for a fair price?  

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

• Like 1

I have a Rare Parts Inc. centerlink on my '64 with no complaints.  The exchange process did take a while though.  I'd do it with a core then pass your unit on to someone else as a core for them to do the same.

• Like 1

OK Jan: Rare parts in Stockton is THE PLACE. I have personally been there.  Top pros, excellent staff, they know what they're doing.  $275 plus the ride. Send 'em your core. their turnaround time is very reasonable too. I had a few cores and rebuilt the front ends on a 64 and 65.  All three years are the same.  They even had  230SL  parts I needed. They had 'em in stock. All quality too.  A great resource with the fun part of competitive pricing, quality products and excellent service.  They have everything  suspension you'll need for the Riv except a steering box.  Mitch

I don't know that Rare Parts is priced competitively. ;) 

One thing to be aware of about them (which doesn't pertain to the centerlink): a lot of the parts they sell are overstocks and inventory buyouts. That is, you order a standard part (e.g. a tie rod end) from them, and what you get is an off-the-shelf Moog, Delco, or McQuay-Norris part in a bag with a Rare Parts sticker on it.  You can likely get the same part on eBay for substantially less.  If you order one of their Diamond Series parts, you will get something they have rebuilt.

Example: I ordered two inner tie rods for a 64.  I got two completely different parts (one Moog, one unmarked).  The Moog part was fine; the unmarked one had metric threads and nut on the stud.  They said that if they receive an order for two of the same part (e.g. two outer tie rod ends), they will try to send matching parts (two Moog parts, etc.).  They had no explanation for the metric stud.

If you do want them to rebuild something, they also rebuild other components besides centerlinks (tie rods, etc.).  The price for a rebuild is the same as the price for a new part.  However, they couldn't guarantee that the rebuilt part will look the same as the original (e.g. the stamped S cover on a Saginaw tie rod end might get discarded).

Thanks all for your advice and input,

I'm going with Rare Parts - sent my worn center link this week for rebuild. I managed to easily source other parts needed: front strut bushings, idler arm, wheel bearing seals, and rear track bar bushings. Will keep you posted on the progress.