Model A dual point distributor

Frank Wilkie

No idea but I am guessing there may be other changes. If I remember (it was 50 years ago when I played with a lot of "A"'s) you couldn't manually retard the spark on those - I may be wrong.

In any event if the linkage is still there you can always just install an original distributor - they are fairly bullet proof and easy to adjust. That gets you back that wonderful "ticka ticka ticka" idle. If the linkage isn't there I believe the parts are readily available.

They were made as speed accessories for the Model A. Whether or not it actually contributed to speed or better performance is probably debatable. Perhaps they were useful when the engine had other high performance speed parts such as an overhead valve conversion, high compression head, increased fuel supply, etc.

If you have a basically stock Model A, I would go back to the original style distributor. The new distributor that Snyder's and the other vendors sell with the modern style points (not the electronic conversion) is a great, ready to bolt on choice for less than 150.00.

The dual point distributors are desirable amongst accessory and speed equipment collectors. depending on brand and condition.  Someone will likely pay you a decent price for it.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

I am running a modern Mallory dual point on my coupe. runs great and it has an auto advance curve and you don't have to use the spark lever. Do you have a picture of your dual point unit? A lot of hot rod guys running an A or B motor want these. they also like Model B distributors because of the auto spark advance.

• 1 month later...

I used the original distributor with one of the new plates that were adapted to use a modern set of points and condenser, the points could be  changed without having to retime.  I kept the original condenser in place for appearance. It worked wonderfully for 16 years and no one could tell. I'm not really a fan of upgrading cars like that, which really don't need it if the original parts are restored properly. I did however, install an oil seal in the rear of the water pump bushing which saved a lot of leaking problems. This was before they came out on the market.