Dodge Bros. starter generator needed

alsfarms

I am looking for a Dodge Bros. starter generator to help complete a project.  What is the differences in the Dodge starter generators?  Will all of the starter generators interchange?  My projects are all of the late 1922-23 vintage.  Drop a note if you have a good unit that is extra to your needs.

Al

Hello Machinist Bill,  Thanks so much for the images of the Dodge Starter Generator.  Is it possible that you could send the same images, one at a time so I could print them for my file?  I am not smart enough to mess with these images in this forum.  My email address is: alsfarms@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Al

Those are nice diagrams of the S-Gs that I don't recall seeing before.  Al, if you're using a Windows based PC, it should be pretty easy to save the images one at a time.  I scroll to the image I want, right click the mouse and then select 'save image as'.  A window should come up with the image and then you need to name the image file at the bottom and change the file location to save it where you want at the top.

• Like 1

Hello Mike,  Your saving hints are how I can deal with the prints.  Thanks for your consideration.  Bill did send these images to my open email, one at a time and I did do just as you suggested.  I now have them in my file where I can read or print and study at will.  I wonder if it is possible, electrically, to up the performance of these units without hurting the reliability?

Al 

PS:  Thanks again Bill.........

I have a GA.

I bought it 2-3 years ago from a lady in NE(?) who was clearing out her father's estate.

It's stuck and has no sprocket but you must have that?

Having gone through my G those things seem pretty much indestructible except for the bearings and brushes.

$hipping is the problem.......they weigh a ton...... :unsure:

• Like 1

They are a heavy chunk of iron!   As for upping the performance on them, it really isn't necessary when it's working properly.  Unless you've added some accessory that draws a lot of current, the generator will put out more than needed.  In fact, I always run with the headlights on or my battery gets overcharged.  The voltage regulation using the 3rd brush can be adjusted but it is rather primitive as far as keeping the battery 'happy'.  If you want to do some upgrading in the electrical system, I would suggest looking at the diode conversion to replace the cut-off relay (which is located in the starter foot switch housing).  You can buy one already modified or DIY.  If you search on the topic in AACA forums (not just DB) you will find various threads.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...