Buick Carlsbad Black

Dynaflash8

Has anybody come up with a modern code that matches Buick Carsbad Black (Duco 246-2048) which was last used (by that number) by Pontiac in 1949.

PPG-9001 is said to match it, and a version of that PPG190011 was used as late as 2001 on Subaru but appears to be blue.

So my question is, is the Suburu color the same black color with a minor ingrediant to make it dark blue?

In any case, my 1941 Buick is original paint, and I had the local auto paint supplier take a picture of the paint with their camera and it came up some BMW color, and it isn't even close.  So much for paint camera's!

So back to my original question.  Has anybody here wanted to paint their car the original black and come up with some modern black that is the same and if so what code or color is it and from what relatively late model car.  For this local paint store I'd guess something in the 2000's.  They don't seem to be too adept.   Thanks

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Mid 50's Buick used Carlsbad Black PPG-9002.

Shades of black

For starters in matching:  back then the shades of black were very dark brown or very dark blue and was apparent when sprayed lightly some glass.

It appears that 1941-1949 Buick Carlsbad Black is PPG-9001, so either 9001 or 9002 should work if this place down here can identify either of those.  I've never been impresses with their ability to match.  The Camera gave a BMW color that doesn't look black at all in the can, Willie, and the painter refused to spray it.

The paint supplier I use brings out a booklet of cards with every shade of a color you can imagine. My 99 Cad sedan Seville’s hood had a unfortunate moment with my stepdaughters long and high foul ball at her high school softball game. Bam, on the rear corner of the hood. Yikes! Went to Kevin Bischoffs shop in Vancouver Washington and I could not believe how many color cards of Caddy pearl green there were. Same with black, toners were used to give the GM color fashionistas some choices. He matched it perfectly.

Dynaflash 8, for a great source on original colors going back to the 1920s, I've had very good luck with SBC Global out of San Diego.  Web address is autocolorlibrary.com   That will get you to more colors than you'll know what to do with. They even sell old-school acrylic lacquer, with which I've had excellent results for repair work -- and which I like because it's idiot-proof.  With a little wetsanding, all my drools, orange peel, and fuzz vanish like magic, and -- most important -- I end up looking as if I knew what I was doing.

If you are trying to match a panel an experienced supplier should be able to match.  You might have to pay more for multiple attempts and spray outs.  If painting the whole car, just pick a color tint that suits you and compliments the car.

Compliments the car:  I have 3 55's all with Dover White panels; the only one with the "correct" Dover White is the one with Cherokee Red... the others (Cadet Blue and Gulf Turquoise). the Dover White was too creamy and did not compliment the other color.  I had the white tinted:  brighter on both; added a little blue for one and a little green for the other.