Heat riser rebuid?

Bloodshot

So I pulled the manifold off the riv so I could put one on that wasn't broken.  The one I got to replace it had a heat riser but it is seized up.  Can you take them apart?  I saw a kit online that seemed to have the parts needed but I'm not sure how I'd get this thing apart to rebuild it.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

Thanks.

Here's a link to the kit I found:

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HRV659

And I'm attaching a photo of my seized heat riser.

heat riser.jpg

On 2/18/2018 at 10:19 AM, Bloodshot said:

So I pulled the manifold off the riv so I could put one on that wasn't broken.  The one I got to replace it had a heat riser but it is seized up.  Can you take them apart?  I saw a kit online that seemed to have the parts needed but I'm not sure how I'd get this thing apart to rebuild it.

Anyone have any experience with these things?

Thanks.

Here's a link to the kit I found:

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HRV659

And I'm attaching a photo of my seized heat riser.

heat riser.jpg

You might consider buying an NOS unit as opposed to rebuild. It doesn’t look like much, but that thing controls your choke. I took mine off when it froze up and had an electronic choke put on the carb. Works great.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bloodshot said:

I was thinking about that. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

23 hours ago, Bloodshot said:

I was thinking about that. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I know a seller that has a new old stock riser if you want go that route. PM me and lll give you his 

contact info.

Red Riviera Bob

On 2/20/2018 at 8:13 AM, Bloodshot said:

Thanks.  I'll look into the electronic chokes.

Chances are that you won't be driving the car in extreme conditions when you need to use the choke that much anyway.  The shop manual  states that this choke thermostat will cause slow engine warm up or stumbling when it is stuck open - same as not having one.  But it also stares that operation should be checked at 70°.  If you're a fair weather driver like most of us, you'll not really notice this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

I know a seller that has a new old stock riser if you want go that route. PM me and lll give you his 

contact info.

Red Riviera Bob

It's tempting, but I think I'll go with the electric choke.  A NOS unit will probably cost a quite a bit.  I'm sure the conversion to electric will be fine for me.

Thanks for the offer.

45 minutes ago, Bloodshot said:

It's tempting, but I think I'll go with the electric choke.  A NOS unit will probably cost a quite a bit.  I'm sure the conversion to electric will be fine for me.

Thanks for the offer.

Well, it’s the best way-with the electronic choke. As I said that is the way I went with the electronic choke. Secondly, the choke the guy has might-might not fit your car because he on,y has stuff from 63-65. I assumed, I was wrong, you had a 63. It all works out in the end.

Red Riviera Bob

If your a fair weather driver like most of us northern classic Riviera owners you probably don't even need it Steve.

But if it is removed you will need to add a spacer to compensate for it. The underside in your photo is tapered for the flared exhaust pipe.

You could also use the old unit minus the baffle, spring, shaft and counter weight as a spacer too.

Just weld the baffle shaft holes closed to prevent any exhaust leak, and install a new Felpro exhaust gasket on the flat side.

The electric choke modification will help with cold weather starts when needed !

Here are some pictures of an exhaust manifold "donut" that I found that fits inside the manifold and creates a ball to fit into the cone of the pipe.  Sorry that I don't have a part number, but if you take your manifold into a NAPA store or other jobber, you can tell them what you want and they can probably find it for you.  If I find the part #, I'll add it.

Ed

5a8f3ceb2299c_Exhaustmanifolddonut003.thumb.jpg.1420d89a64822c2c4b46ef557ffdf71e.jpg

5a8f3d0bd6b45_Exhaustmanifolddonut002.thumb.jpg.a3a79eddddb78982bda561dec123ce71.jpg

5a8f3d2330477_Exhaustmanifolddonut001.thumb.jpg.aa966cd1182b8952a2a76e6b8bf469cb.jpg

OK, I'm confused.  There are a few different versions on Ebay of which electric choke I think I need with slightly different part numbers.  None of them listed seem to be for my year carb.  Can anyone tell me which one I need?

I've got a '66 with the 425 and Rochester 4MC Quadrajet.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Bloodshot said:

OK, I'm confused.  There are a few different versions on Ebay of which electric choke I think I need with slightly different part numbers.  None of them listed seem to be for my year carb.  Can anyone tell me which one I need?

I've got a '66 with the 425 and Rochester 4MC Quadrajet.

Thanks.

Any particular reason you're shopping on eBay?

Google Carbs Unlimited. They have one for a Q-jet for <$20. It takes a housing, a spring, and one wire to make them work.  Plus, you can talk with a salesperson who would know exactly what you need if you have questions.  

• 4 years later...
3 hours ago, Northeast Riv. 2 said:

I know this an old thread, but………I need to find a heat riser for my 1965 Buick riviera, 401 engine any help would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

Joe 

If you do not live in an area that needs that heat to the carb and you don't drive the car in cold weather, eliminate it. 

Thanks for reply. I usually drive up till the snow flies, then put her away till spring. So that involves some cold morn starts. I would like it to be as easy to start as in warm weather. If I can stay original I should install a working heat riser. The one I just removed is frozen open, I am now soaking to see if I can free it.

Are you aware of any rebuild kits available or better yet a NOS heat riser maybe? Thanks 

Joe 

You can live with it being frozen open.  Remember the guy who bought this car originally. It was the car he drove to and from the bank, law office, or .?????.  He had no time to let his car warm up or deal with anything not perfect or he’d trade it in on something newer. Even when new, these cars did not function as well as the computerized fuel injections you drive today.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...