Steering Box removal...

philipj

It will help to have a friend help you navigate the twists and turns needed, but no.  It's not very difficult

Remove the steering wheel:

3 screws from the underside of the wheel will release the center button and the horn ring

Remove the large nut to release the wheel from the shaft.  Remove the spring for safe keeping

Remove the two screws that secure the column to instrument panel bracket

Remove the pedal plates from the floor

Remove the horn contact wire from the column (under the hood)

Under the car, remove the pitman arm from the steering box OR remove the pitman arm from the outer end of the steering connecting rod.

Remove the three bolts that secure the steering box to the frame.

With the car jacked up, one guy needs to guide the box down while someone inside the car carefully guides the column through the floorboard.

I wrapped the column in towels on the way back in so it didn't get scratched and marred.

• 6 months later...

Hi Dave

I never separated the two.  I sent the assembly out to Lares for a complete rebuild, and it came back all in one piece the way I sent it out to them.  Very happy with their workmanship.  

Hello Gary,

Are you able to use thin oil without any leaks? Do you have a contact person there? Wrote to them in May and still await a reply... Maybe I should just ask you the cost of the rebuild, if you don't mind sharing that information... Thank you.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:30 PM, philipj said:

Maybe I should just ask you the cost of the rebuild, if you don't mind sharing that information

Not at all!

The restoration cost $ 377.99  +  $ 75.65 Shipping  for a grand total of $ 453.64

I sent the entire column and gearbox as a unit, which meant I had to use a big box (I used a bicycle box) which jacked up the shipping cost.

But, by shipping the entire unit, Lares also replaced the upper column bushing with a long life nylon bearing so when installing, you no longer use the spring and retainer.

As far as lubrication, Lares uses their own blend and sends instructions not to touch anything.  But their technician told me that you can use any good quality wheel bearing grease or 600W oil.

Personally, in my Model "A" Fords I use Penrite Brand Steering Box Lube.  It's a 1200W, EP, "non-leaking" lubricant that I've had very good luck with.  I got it from Restoration Supply (Part # LUB009)

I don't know if it is acceptable in the Buick, but I'm hoping the Buick won't be requiring any attention for a while.

Hope it helps!

Gary