1928 Buick Master transmission oil

ebak210

In my 1929 Master I run 600W from MACs in the transmission and the differential. I think the transmission is 2-3 quarts and the differential close a gallon. I'm not really sure on the refill capacity. The heavy 600W is really the only lube I have used that allows easy shifting. It also slows down on leaks some.

• Like 2

Whatever gear oil you buy if it is in a squeezable container stand it up in very hot water for 15 minutes before trying to squeeze or pour it in.

Transmission around 1.75 quarts, differential 2.3 quarts (for the 128"). The shorter ones need more for the differential. Fill it up to the lower level of the filler plug.

Take a heavy one, I take at least W250, follow tinindians hint or calculate a half a day to pour the oil in;)

• 1 year later...

My 1925 Buick transmission holds 1 quart.  I started my 1925 Buick on 600 WT from Snyders.  They call it M-533.  I don't like the other 600W  that is available that looks like brown mud.  The 600W worked fine but not great, especially when cold.  I also had to mail order it.  I have been working with a Ford Model A friend as these transmissions are a similar design.  Lucas recommended a 50/50 mix of 80/90 Lucas gear oil and Lucas Stabilizer for the Model A transmission.   Their "general" publication on the gear oil/ stabilizer mix is 50/50 for rear axles and 75 gear oil/25% stabilizer for manual transmissions.  The stabilizer has the clinging properties that we are looking for.    My friend modified the 50/50 mix and his transmission shifts better using 60% 80/90 gear oil and 40% Stabilizer.  I went with the 75% 80/90 gear oil and 25% Stabilizer for the transmission.   50/50 is great for the rear axle.  

I recommend anything between 25 and 40% stabilizer in the transmission.   The car definitely shifts better using the Lucas oils.   Lucas is GL-4 which is safe for brass internals.  

I get to use a synthetic oil which is always a positive.   I can purchase this at the local autoparts store and our Walmart even carries it.  

Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Apologies for waking up an old thread. I wish to follow this good advice and get the right gear oil in my 1928 Buick transmission, rear axle, and steering box. Here are pictures of what I think is needed. I show 80/90 but there is also a Lucas Heavy Duty 85/140 gear oil, is that too thick? Please let me know if there are other choice recommendations. Thank you to all for any insights.

LucasStabilizer.jpg

lucasgearoil.jpg