401 harmonic balancer timing

Rooster

I have two balancers here and the timing marks are located in a different position in relation to the keyway which means one has turned on the rubber.  Does anyone have a good one on hand to compare with these two.  I'm pretty sure the good one will be the painted balancer.

IMG_5523.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

The harmonic balancers I have seen (not a 401) had tick on both sides across the rubber, like timing marks, so you could see if the rubber caused slipping of the two cast parts. Look close on both sides.

If it can be taken as gospel, I did a search for images of Buick 401 nailhead harmonic balancers and two showed up right away with the timing notch aligned with the keyway.

Here is one of the pics, although as I look at it I'd say it does not align perfectly.

Image result for buick 401 nailhead harmonic balancer

As I'm not that knowledgeable on the Nailheads, the issue might be "Where is the timing mark tab located on the engine?"  For engines where the tab is on the driver's side, it could be that the timing mark on the balancer does basically align with the keyway.  If the tab is on the passenger's side, the timing mark on the balancer and the crank keyway will not be close to being aligned.

In many cases, when the engine is at TDC, the crank keyway will align with the centerline of the #1 ( #1 being the front cylinder on the driver's side of the engine) connecting rod.  As is the case for a small block Chevy V-8, which also has a timing tab on the lh side of the motor's front.

NTX5467

It looks like the green coloured one is the same as my red painted one.  So I'll go with that one being correct.  The other one must have moved at one stage. 

The timing tab on the engine is on the passenger side ( for USA cars ) as I recall.

• Like 1

As I recall the timing mark is aligned with the key way.   This is just not on with Buick  balancers.  Other manufacturers as well.  Pontiac has off set marks I believe.   Timing belt gears normally have the  TDC mark aligned with the key way.   I had once mistakenly moved the outer balance on a Buick 455.   The engine when started just did some vibrating.  I found a replacement at the  junk yard.  Worked great.   BTW, the key way on the balance was aligned with the timing mark.  Engineers continue to use designs that work.   The balance painted brownish red looks correct IMO.         

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)